Changing the Language on Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

•  

I bought a HP laptop with Vista Home Premium in portuguese. I would be interested in changing the language and I happen to own a "Vista Home Premium Upgrade" for my other PC that was never used. This upgrade in is english. Would it be possible to install it in my laptop and thus change the language? Would I loose all my files?
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• Cynthia

There are basically 2 different types of language packs for Windows.

Vista is available in 36 Primary languages, this includes Portuguese.

A standard Language Interface Pack (LIP) changes the most commonly used dialogs, menus, etc, to a localized language, but not the entire system. These LIPs are only available in certain languages and can only be installed on systems with a certain 'Primary' language version of Vista.

An example would be that a system with a Spanish version of Vista would have a LIP available for the Basque language, since parts of the primary language country (Spain) includes areas where Basque is spoken. There would also be a LIP available for the Quechua language, since this language is spoken in local areas of Mexico where Spanish is also the Primary language.

A Multi-User Interface language pack (MUI) changes the system to a different language. The MUIs can be installed on a Vista system, regardless of the installed primary language. The MUIs are 'only' available if you have the Ultimate or Enterprise version of Vista.

You cannot upgrade any version of Vista with an upgrade that is in a different language from the primary language of that system.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Quatro

I Purchased a Computer with Windows Vista Premium preinstalled  in Spanish and would like to know how to change it to English

The Home Premium does not include the MUI language packs that would be needed to accomplish this.

Here are the options you have.

Purchase a full English version of Vista.

Upgrade the Spanish Home Premium version to the Ultimate version and then use the available MUI language pack to convert to English.

Use a third party product to change the language to English.

Vistalizator - change display language in Vista Home and Business:
    http://www.froggie.sk/

*NOTE: This third party product is not supported by Microsoft.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:39 PM
  • No.  You would need to purchase a "Full English" edition of Windows Vista and perform a "clean install" which requires a reformat of your computer's hard drive.  Afterward, you would need to reinstall all your programs, then reinstall your files you previously created from a backup.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In this case a language pack would be easier. If don't think you can use the Vista Home Premium Upgrade to convert the system to english. I think it will tell you to reinstall the system. Before doing such an operation always make a backup of you data.

Regards,

Johan

blog: www.johanveldhuis.nl

Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:08 PM
  • No.  You would need to purchase a "Full English" edition of Windows Vista and perform a "clean install" which requires a reformat of your computer's hard drive.  Afterward, you would need to reinstall all your programs, then reinstall your files you previously created from a backup.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:11 PM
  •  

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for the help. Secondly whats a language pack? Where would i be able to get one and would I have to pay extra for it? Do language packs work on Vista Home Premium? I heard they only worked for Ultimate.

Sincerely,

Cynthia

Saturday, October 4, 2008 8:50 PM
  • Cynthia

There are basically 2 different types of language packs for Windows.

Vista is available in 36 Primary languages, this includes Portuguese.

A standard Language Interface Pack (LIP) changes the most commonly used dialogs, menus, etc, to a localized language, but not the entire system. These LIPs are only available in certain languages and can only be installed on systems with a certain 'Primary' language version of Vista.

An example would be that a system with a Spanish version of Vista would have a LIP available for the Basque language, since parts of the primary language country (Spain) includes areas where Basque is spoken. There would also be a LIP available for the Quechua language, since this language is spoken in local areas of Mexico where Spanish is also the Primary language.

A Multi-User Interface language pack (MUI) changes the system to a different language. The MUIs can be installed on a Vista system, regardless of the installed primary language. The MUIs are 'only' available if you have the Ultimate or Enterprise version of Vista.

You cannot upgrade any version of Vista with an upgrade that is in a different language from the primary language of that system.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:30 AM
  • I Purchased a Computer with Windows Vista Premium preinstalled  in Spanish and would like to know how to change it to English

Monday, November 24, 2008 1:09 PM
  • Quatro

I Purchased a Computer with Windows Vista Premium preinstalled  in Spanish and would like to know how to change it to English

The Home Premium does not include the MUI language packs that would be needed to accomplish this.

Here are the options you have.

Purchase a full English version of Vista.

Upgrade the Spanish Home Premium version to the Ultimate version and then use the available MUI language pack to convert to English.

Use a third party product to change the language to English.

Vistalizator - change display language in Vista Home and Business:
    http://www.froggie.sk/

*NOTE: This third party product is not supported by Microsoft.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:39 PM