Invisible BSOD Cripples Custom Built Computer with Disturbing Frequency. Assistance Desperately Needed! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built my very first computer, and in the five months it has existed, my computer has suffered from this random bluescreen with increasing frequency. The error tended to happen once in a blue moon, except for when I would be running UDK (Unreal Development Kit), and then the error would happen three or four times in an average period of four hours. UDK makes heavy use of my graphics card, which makes me believe the problem is related to my GeForce GTX 590. However programs such as Photoshop x64 and Autodesk Maya did not cause this error, and I have run UDK without ever receiving the error. I also never see a BSOD. When it happens, my screen suddenly goes black and my CPU cooler fan kicks in to high gear. It keeps that up for about 30 seconds and then restarts itself. When I get to the desktop it says there was an unexpected shutdown and in the details it says this (this is the most recent one, the rest are very similar with a couple digits different):

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    116
      BCP1:    FFFFFA801D043010
      BCP2:    FFFFF880108BAFA4
      BCP3:    FFFFFFFFC000009A
      BCP4:    0000000000000004
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\010812-13587-01.dmp
      C:\Users\HUMAN\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-26286-0.sysdata.xml

When my computer first suffered from this error, I made sure Windows was updated. That didn't fix it, so I updated my GeForce GTX 590 driver based on my hunch. No luck. I then tried my earliest System Restore point, then my latest, then everything inbetween. Again no luck. I then tried various combinations of System Restore points, graphics card drivers, and Windows Updates. Still didn't solve the problem. I gave up, and resolved to live with it and save my work even more frequently. Then my computer started to suffer from this error almost immediately after loading the desktop when I booted up. And again, this only happened once in a blue moon, so I decided to live with this as well. Until earlier today. Today my computer proceeded to crash right after loading the desktop, and then restart itself but with only sound and no picture (speakers are separate from monitor, and monitor works just fine connected to other things). So I turn off my computer using the power button, and it doesn't even make it to the login screen before crashing again. I repeat the restart process and afterwards am greeted by the above error message once I finally see my desktop again. And then my computer proceeds to crash again, and reboot with no picture, only sound. And I do what I did before. And this bluescreen error happens six times in eleven minutes, so now I know I have a problem. I have yet to get more than four minutes out of my system (with Windows loaded normally) before it crashes again. I know that my system did install some Windows Updates last night, but I have not performed System Restore as the bluescreen error has happened several times in the past without this latest batch of updates installed.

So anyway, I am at a loss, and I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Here are my computer specs:

• Intel i7 990x 
    • Corsair Hydro H70
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified
    • Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (x6)
    • Corsair HX1000 modular power supply
    • Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD
    • EVGA 1366 Intel X58 Extended ATX motherboard
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

• Edited by ZoeZo Monday, January 9, 2012 12:34 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 12:10 AM

Answers