none
Using the xcopy command to copy files from a cd/dvd drive to the L: RRS feed

• Question

• I used to use the xcopy command to copy data from a CD or DVD to the server and I forgot the last line of the command.  I listed the instructions I remember, but I'm stuck on the xcopy command line.  These are the instructions I remember, as they apply to the computer I am working with now and the file path (at rows 5 - 7 below).  I will be copying from the D: to the L:

1. Start
    2. Run
    3. cmd ("Return" key)
    4. L: ("Return" key)
    5. cd Active ("Return" key)
    6. cd Case Name ("Return" key)
    7. cd Disclosure ("Return" key)
    8. xcopy d:__________________ ("Return" key)

I remember using forward and back slashes and an "s" (and maybe and "e"), but I don't remember the
    order, and where to use spaces.

Thank you.
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:34 PM

Answers

• xcopy d:\*.* /s /e

...will copy everything on your D: drive including subdirs (/s) and empty directorys (/e), to the "L:\Active\Case Name\Disclosure" directory in the L: drive.

You can simplify this command as such:

xcopy D:\. L:\Active\Case Name\Disclosure\. /s /e

This will have the same effect as lines 4-8 of your code.  Note . is shorthand for *.* .  This assumes you want to copy everything from the root of D:.  Adjust the path according to your needs.'

There are many other switches for xcopy.  Just type xcopy /? <Enter> to see all the available options.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vole. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as "Answer".

Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• xcopy d:\*.* /s /e

...will copy everything on your D: drive including subdirs (/s) and empty directorys (/e), to the "L:\Active\Case Name\Disclosure" directory in the L: drive.

You can simplify this command as such:

xcopy D:\. L:\Active\Case Name\Disclosure\. /s /e

This will have the same effect as lines 4-8 of your code.  Note . is shorthand for *.* .  This assumes you want to copy everything from the root of D:.  Adjust the path according to your needs.'

There are many other switches for xcopy.  Just type xcopy /? <Enter> to see all the available options.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vole. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as "Answer".

Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I hope you are well. Can you breaking downs please how I can copy the entire file from DVD using Prompt. I have my wedding video skipping and a colleague told me that I could repair if I copy using Prompt.

Can you help me with the full <g class="gr_ gr_653 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="653" id="653">command.</g>

I appreciate,

Alex

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:17 PM