Reverting Vista back to XP on Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ive read that to do this you need to re-install XP, but, the laptop came with Vista installed and i dont have a previous version of XP to instal.

I need to revert back to XP as 99% of the hardware i use doesnt support use with Vista so i cant get the right drivers to run most of my office equiptment.

I need to revert back to XP asap but dont have an XP disc or a Vista disc, as it was pre-installed.

Is there some kind of boot disc for this?

How can i do this?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If you would like to revert it to Windows XP, please contact your laptop manufacturer if they still provide this service now.

Please understand that we need to install Windows Vista drivers for hardware devices to run. Usually the drivers you obtained when you bought the hardware devices are for Windows XP and they cannot work in Windows Vista. I suggest contacting the hardware drives’ manufacturers to obtain the latest drivers.

If no Windows Vista driver is provided by them, I am afraid that your hardware device is out-of-date. You need to buy a new device.

Now you can let me know the brands and models of your problematic hardware devices and I will try to find the latest drivers for you.

Are you running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:00 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First I would like to say may computers preinstalled with Windows Vista now do not support Windows XP. Even if it supports Windows XP, I am afraid you cannot revert to Windows XP as you do not have a Windows XP disk and license. Microsoft no longer sells Windows XP licenses now.

Therefore, I suggest continuing using Windows Vista. I understand that some hardware devices do not work with Windows Vista. You can try to download latest drivers from the hardware manufactures’ websites or upgrade your hardware devices.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:44 AM
  •  

i was told when purchasing my laptop that i had the option to revert it back to XP if required, does this mean it could me on my hard drive somewhere.

i have tried manufacturers for vista drivers but there hardware is not supported for vista, these are CD printing machines, thermal and inkjet printers, they are thousands of punds each and are stll considered the best machines to use in the industry, but both models from different manufacturers do not have vista drivers available, the same with my Sony video camrea too, their website says it is not supported for vista.

its too late to return my laptop to the seller now so if i cant run my printers from this vista laptop i will need to buy an older machine that runs XP. i just find it really annoying that vista seems to exclude a lot of hardware which is still out there in the market place that is not usable with vista.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:00 AM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If you would like to revert it to Windows XP, please contact your laptop manufacturer if they still provide this service now.

Please understand that we need to install Windows Vista drivers for hardware devices to run. Usually the drivers you obtained when you bought the hardware devices are for Windows XP and they cannot work in Windows Vista. I suggest contacting the hardware drives’ manufacturers to obtain the latest drivers.

If no Windows Vista driver is provided by them, I am afraid that your hardware device is out-of-date. You need to buy a new device.

Now you can let me know the brands and models of your problematic hardware devices and I will try to find the latest drivers for you.

Are you running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit?

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:00 AM