PuTTy and dwm.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Im running Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

Im having trouble with putty (0.60) and aero transparent (dwm.exe)

First Test:

1. open putty to www.msn.com:22 with ssh protocol
    2. open another putty to www.live.com:22 with ssh protocol
    3. -wait until connection error came-
    4. click [OK] on both connection error
    5. click [  x  ], and there you go... not closed, taskbar also stop responding, Win+R also stop responding.
    6. others application (such as taskbar, ie, etc) still running, but not until i right click
    7. RightClick (anywhere: taskbar, or any other window) will caused total OS not responding, but mouse still can move.
    8. wait after 5~10minutes... still no respond, not even startMenu can came up
    9. forcefully power off

Second Test (no problem):

1. net stop uxsms
    2. and redo whole thing,
    3. except no problem after i clicked close

How do i know dwm.exe caused trouble ?

both putty.exe and dwm.exe cpu busy during this happen.

Any idea whats wrong ?

Yes, i already try to double check my putty.exe its not modified

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have the same problem with putty and Windows 7. I thought I am the only person in the world who has this problem because I did not find anything about this on the internet. And I find it very interested that no other users reporting this problem.

As Ox41464b already explaned it is very easy to reproduce the error. You only need the wait that a error message is coming in putty and the dwm.exe and the putty.exe is getting a very high cpu and the system becomes unusable.

I find a workaround for me at the moment if I change the parameter "Close window on exit" in the Properties to "Always". Than there is no error message coming, putty is closing and the dwm.exe runs normal.

But I will be happy if someone has a better solution for that because I need the feature to see the closed putty if there is a problem.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have the same problem with putty and Windows 7. I thought I am the only person in the world who has this problem because I did not find anything about this on the internet. And I find it very interested that no other users reporting this problem.

As Ox41464b already explaned it is very easy to reproduce the error. You only need the wait that a error message is coming in putty and the dwm.exe and the putty.exe is getting a very high cpu and the system becomes unusable.

I find a workaround for me at the moment if I change the parameter "Close window on exit" in the Properties to "Always". Than there is no error message coming, putty is closing and the dwm.exe runs normal.

But I will be happy if someone has a better solution for that because I need the feature to see the closed putty if there is a problem.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Heelo, I have the same problem and last year I tried to contact the developer. He said that they didn't found any error or bug in puTTY in Windows 7. I had this problem in Windows Vista and Windows 7 too. Is working well only in windows XP
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:34 PM
  • i been haveing it run in my windows procces im not sure were it came from windows aero is off.

What is dwm.exe and why is it consuming so much of my memory and resources?

http://types-of-snakes.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:43 AM