Problem with Exchange 2013 and UM Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are about to roll out Skype for Business in my company with UM.

(These below are my server Exchange 2013 specs)

Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 with Exchange 2013 CU8

Virtualized on VMWare 5.5, machine version 8, 8 CPU cores and 36GB memory.

Yesterday we enabled UM and the CPU went crazy hitting constantly a 100%... and making VMWare to start moving the server between hosts for balancing. Therefore the Exchange server crashed and we have to go into Mimecast continuity.

Taking it from this point I wonder...

What are the requirements for UM?

Does it need extra CPUs? Extra memory?

Could this be related with a certificate issue we have between one of our skype server and Exchange (TLS Connection)?

I would appreciate if I can pick up someone's brain on this.

Regards

Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks in advance for your help.

We are about to roll out Skype for Business in my company with UM.

(These below are my server Exchange 2013 specs)

Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 with Exchange 2013 CU8

Virtualized on VMWare 5.5, machine version 8, 8 CPU cores and 36GB memory.

Yesterday we enabled UM and the CPU went crazy hitting constantly a 100%... and making VMWare to start moving the server between hosts for balancing. Therefore the Exchange server crashed and we have to go into Mimecast continuity.

Taking it from this point I wonder...

What are the requirements for UM?

Does it need extra CPUs? Extra memory?

Could this be related with a certificate issue we have between one of our skype server and Exchange (TLS Connection)?

I would appreciate if I can pick up someone's brain on this.

Regards

A couple of things:

You should be at CU10 at a minimum. CU8 is not supported.

Did you use the mailbox calculator to size the guests?

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Exchange-2013-Server-Role-f8a61780

and lastly, ( and this is very important)

Ensure the hosts are set to  high performance for power mangement

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1018206

P.S. I would disable the ability of vmware to automatically move guests to other hosts as well. 

Note:

Make sure you are following all the supported stuff when virtualizing

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619301%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This topic provides an overview of the scenarios that are supported for deploying Exchange 2013 on hardware virtualization software

Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately we had an external company (consultant) doing the whole project planning for us.

They suggested us what to get and how to get it... We've asked for advise but now they say UM it's brand new and the consultant who dealt with us is busy in another project.. (It might take a few days to get his reply)

We need to have Skype for business up & running asap due to trainings coming up next week.

About VMWare:

Hosts are already in High Priority and I will take your advise for the affinity disabling that ability.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Just chiming in to say, get yourself to a newer CU like Andy David said. 

Sorry for the list of questions, but for more info:

UM shouldn't do that unless something is very wrong.  What steps did you take to enable UM?  Did the CPU hit 100% right away or after some additional configuration?  Where was the CPU before, and when it hit 100%, what process was chewing up the CPU (if you look in task mgr)?  How did you resolve it to get it back to normal? 

Also, UM isn't new, it's been around since Exchange 2007... the consulting company is just likely new to UM.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:25 PM