none
Enterprise Resource Pool / AD Sync / Resource verses User RRS feed

• Question

• My knowledge is limited; newly installed Project Server 2010 and could use some advice around resources: I've been assigned as the administrator.  [this is going to be a journey]

1.  I want to use the Enterprise Resource Pool but unsure if I should sync with AD.  Will the sync automatically make every resource a user too?  Will it pull everyone from AD automatically...or does it just connect where I have the ability to add a resource in PP2010 thru the option "Add Resource>from AD" (or address book).  Right now, all my options under add resource are grayed out except "build team" and I can only pick from the pool.

2.  I'm under the impression resources (people) do not have to also be system users.  I know about the check box if i set up a resource thru PWA but found recommendations to create the resource from Project Prof. instead.  Think I have a mess as PMs accidently had the ability to add to the resource pool and I've got duplicates because of misspellings, people that should have been local only and every resource was also made a user...  Looks like to delete a user, the system also wants to delete the resource.  What's your best advice for cleaning up my resources and users...

3.  It it good practice to allow PMs to add to the Enterprise Resource pool?  Can I lock down the only way they can add...like picking from AD.  Agian, I'm not clear if this also grants them user rights???  I don't want it to.

Any advice/feedback is much appreciated!  KD

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi K-Dee,

if you use the AD sync for the resource pool, the resource will always also become a user and get into the default "Team Members" group.

I you want the resource not to become a user at all, you would have to create it manually using Resource Center (what is not real fun...)

If the reason for wanting to create a "resource only" is the license I would recommend to

- rename the group Team Members to something like "no logon permission"

- remove the global "Log on" permission from this group

- create a new "Team Member" group and use that for the People you want to be able to use the system actively.

Hope that helps and - enjoy your journey :-)

Christoph

• Marked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:07 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi  K-Dee,

you only need a license for users, that are allowed to logon. Persons that are only "used" as a resource and not act actively in the System do not need a license.

As the resource pool AD sync puts the users in the Default "Team members" Group you should remove the logon permission there and build your own Team members Group. You cannot specify, which Group the resource sync should use. This is hard coded with the ID of the Group - no matter which name it has?

There would also be other options, but I think this is the easiest.

Regards

Christoph

• Marked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:45 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi K-Dee,

Welcome to exciting world of Microsoft Project. I am sure you will enjoy your journey.

1. When you configure Enterprise Resource Pool (ERP) with AD sync, all synchronized user will be added as team member and considered as Resource. Only user from ERP pool will be listed under build team. There is a difference between PWA user and resource. Resource can be assigned to a task not user.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982985.aspx

3. PM does not have permission to manage users hence cannot assign users as team member.

Security in PWA is very complex thing to understand, and there is no way you can track back your previous settings something like "reset to default", I would recommend reading and understanding how security model works in Project Server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197571.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for the response!  I'm learning a lot thru the "orange book" from MS Project Experts.  I have a good understanding of the difference between the user and resource but don't understand why when building the pool thru PP (the resource sheet), the system automatically generates them as a "user" too.  I'm trying to add "resources" only.  Should I perhaps be adding them thru PWA>Resource Center>New Resource so I can add them without selecting the "resource can logon to Project Server" option? 

My goal is to

1.  add resources (not as a user).

And 2.  I need to go back and remove the ones that were imported in as resource/user and only make them a "resource".  Is there a better way to do this other than deleting from "delete enterprise objects".  I'm not sure if I'm going to create an issue because of the GUID number in the event the resource does become a user in the future???

Thank you also for the quick response...

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi K-Dee,

if you use the AD sync for the resource pool, the resource will always also become a user and get into the default "Team Members" group.

I you want the resource not to become a user at all, you would have to create it manually using Resource Center (what is not real fun...)

If the reason for wanting to create a "resource only" is the license I would recommend to

- rename the group Team Members to something like "no logon permission"

- remove the global "Log on" permission from this group

- create a new "Team Member" group and use that for the People you want to be able to use the system actively.

Hope that helps and - enjoy your journey :-)

Christoph

• Marked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:07 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi Christoph,

Are you saying if I remove the global logon permission from the group "No Logon Permission Group", then these members wont take up a license?  (Were you recommending an AD sync or manual entry)

If your thought was an AD sync , am I able to specify which group (like AD name is "PWA Resource Only Group") this AD syncs to?  If yes, and this is the process I perform, I am assuming all these resources would also show as a "user" just "inactive", is that right?? 

Appreciate you, D

Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi  K-Dee,

you only need a license for users, that are allowed to logon. Persons that are only "used" as a resource and not act actively in the System do not need a license.

As the resource pool AD sync puts the users in the Default "Team members" Group you should remove the logon permission there and build your own Team members Group. You cannot specify, which Group the resource sync should use. This is hard coded with the ID of the Group - no matter which name it has?

There would also be other options, but I think this is the easiest.

Regards

Christoph

• Marked as answer by K-Dee Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:45 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Thank you!  I'm getting it...slowly.  :)
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:45 PM
  •  I noticed when I removed the log on permission; the user no longer had permissions to access the project team site. 

The description to the log on permission says...Allows a user to connect to Project Server from Microsoft Project Professional or to log on to Project Web App. Grant this permission to any user who is authorized to connect to Project Server from Microsoft Project Professional or log on to Project Web App.

I guess its also controlling the project team site access.  Does this sound right to you?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:28 PM