DNS forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to this DNS field.

We from ABC.com domain doing a forward to another company domain XYZ.com. We have hooked up to their DNS server meant for our company with limited defined forwards using XYZ defined network connectivity. This is forwarding based on domain and not individual URL.

Now, we want to access some sites of int.XYZ.com over the internet, but my forwarder is forwarding all the traffic to XYZ.com through his defined connectivity and not searching the open internet.

Is there a possibility of placing some exceptional rule to this forwarder over the net to access int.XYZ.com over the internet.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Jish143,

Based on my understanding, you are in domain abc.com and want to access the website in domain xyz.com.

1. DNS server can only provide FQDN resolution function, resolve a name to IP address;

2. In order to access a website, we need to resolve the FQDN in the URL and need to meet some other requirements, such as router accessible, firewall rules, proxy settings;

3. I notice that you want to access site in xyz.com via Internet, then we may need to set up VPN to enable client in private network abc.com to access resource in private network xyz.com via public network;

So, your requirement may include several big topics: 1. DNS resolution; 2. VPN connection; 3. Firewall or proxy settings to enable web access.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Jish143,

Based on my understanding, you are in domain abc.com and want to access the website in domain xyz.com.

1. DNS server can only provide FQDN resolution function, resolve a name to IP address;

2. In order to access a website, we need to resolve the FQDN in the URL and need to meet some other requirements, such as router accessible, firewall rules, proxy settings;

3. I notice that you want to access site in xyz.com via Internet, then we may need to set up VPN to enable client in private network abc.com to access resource in private network xyz.com via public network;

So, your requirement may include several big topics: 1. DNS resolution; 2. VPN connection; 3. Firewall or proxy settings to enable web access.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Hi Jish143,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:34 AM