Can a single SQL server be a member of two MOSS farms? RRS feed

• Question

• We're moving our DBs to a new SQL server with a different name, and doing some testing. We're using http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(office.12).aspx as a guide.

So far, we've been able to move our admin and site content DBs off of the dev SQL server to the production SQL server, and connect our dev farm's sites to the content DBs on the production SQL server. We've run into errors* when we try and restore the SSPs though, and suspect that it may have to do with the fact that our production SQL server was not added to the dev farm.

The next thing to try is adding our production SQL server to the development farm, but don't want to run into "This server is already part of a farm"-type conflicts when we try and connect the production server to the production farm.

Guidance and recommendations much appreciated. Thanks.

*errors:
    1. When using
    stsadm -o backuphistory -directory \\server\directory
    we get "no backup and restore history was found" even though this was the directory we saved the backup to, and there are 40 bak, log, and xml files there.
    2. Tried deleting and recreating the SSPs on the production SQL server. When I submit it I get
    "An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Unable to connect to the remote server"

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>stsadm -o backuphistory -directory \\server\directory
    we get "no backup and restore history was found"

I also had the same problem some months before and this was related to database permission. Make sure that you have admin right for both the database servers and your SQL service should run with your admin account (Not Local service) on database server. You can check it in RUN--->Services.msc on database server.

Let us know if this is your problem

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, January 14, 2011 2:09 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

·         "An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Unable to connect to the remote server"

·         I think you need to check the FireWall Settings on the server.
    Switch off the firewall settings on the destination server or the server you wish to start the services ON and it works.
    I hope it can help you a little.

Best regards,
    David Hu

Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:38 AM
  • scogordo,

It looks like you're getting some good suggestions.  To address the specific question in the subject: yes, a single SQL Server can service more than one MOSS farm.  Strictly speaking, SQL Servers are associated with SharePoint farms, but that relationship isn't exclusive.  Best practices generally suggest that you avoid using a single SQL Server for more than one production SharePoint environment, but nothing will stop you from co-locating two or more farms' worth of databases on a single SQL Server instance.

Of course, you will need to make sure that there aren't any naming collisions between databases.  Beyond that, though, your only real concern is performance.

I hope that helps!

- Sean

Sean P. McDonough | My Book | My Blog | Linked-In | Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by shyjumohan Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:50 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>stsadm -o backuphistory -directory \\server\directory
    we get "no backup and restore history was found"

I also had the same problem some months before and this was related to database permission. Make sure that you have admin right for both the database servers and your SQL service should run with your admin account (Not Local service) on database server. You can check it in RUN--->Services.msc on database server.

Let us know if this is your problem

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

·         "An unhandled exception occurred in the user interface.Exception Information: Unable to connect to the remote server"

·         I think you need to check the FireWall Settings on the server.
    Switch off the firewall settings on the destination server or the server you wish to start the services ON and it works.
    I hope it can help you a little.

Best regards,
    David Hu

Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:38 AM
  • scogordo,

It looks like you're getting some good suggestions.  To address the specific question in the subject: yes, a single SQL Server can service more than one MOSS farm.  Strictly speaking, SQL Servers are associated with SharePoint farms, but that relationship isn't exclusive.  Best practices generally suggest that you avoid using a single SQL Server for more than one production SharePoint environment, but nothing will stop you from co-locating two or more farms' worth of databases on a single SQL Server instance.

Of course, you will need to make sure that there aren't any naming collisions between databases.  Beyond that, though, your only real concern is performance.

I hope that helps!

- Sean

Sean P. McDonough | My Book | My Blog | Linked-In | Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by shyjumohan Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:50 PM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:48 AM