none
Bitlocker Recovery Key won't work RRS feed

• Question

• My last laptop was being repaired by a DELL technician, but then apparently failed to turn back on due to a motherboard fault.  I decided to have the laptop replaced under warranty and had a clone made of the old hard drive.  Unfortunately, however, the BitLocker recovery key wouldn't work on the cloned drive.  I was still able to access the original computer at the time and the BitLocker recovery key wouldn't work on the original device either.  Any options for what I can do now to restore my data that is encrypted on the old device (very frustrated as this was turned on without my knowing it even existed).  Unable to access important information.  I no longer have access to the old device as it has now been returned to Dell.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting your query here.

1. what tools or methods you are using to clone the drive? 

2. Does the Bitlocker recovery key identification match?
    To verify that this is the correct recovery key, we need to compare Identifier at first. If the identification matches, please check for updates, install all available updates, then try to use password or recovery key to unlock your drive again.

3. If the issue persists, we can try to   suspend BitLocker from within WinRE. To do so, use the following steps:

a. Choose the “Skip this drive” link at the bottom of the page where you are asked to enter the recovery key. You should be presented with a menu that will let you get to a command prompt (The sequence is Advanced options -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Command prompt).

b. Once you have a command prompt,  use the following command to check the BitLocker status of the C: drive:
    manage-bde -status c:

c. If the status is returned as locked, you’ll need to use the following command to unlock it using your recovery password:
    manage-bde -unlock c: -rp <your 48-digit recovery password>           

d. Once the drive is unlocked you'll need to use the following command to suspend protection:
     manage-bde -protectors -disable c:          

e. Then exit and reboot. The computer should now successfully boot Windows. Once there, use the BitLocker control panel to resume BitLocker protection.

4. we can also choose command to repair Bitlocker by manage bde tool.

Please check this :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8ba5c148-ed2c-4b83-a778-69baf8f8f465/unlock-a-bitlocker?forum=w8itpronetworking

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:04 AM
  • The only time you will expect a recovery key not to work, is when the bitlocker encryption method is not recognized.

Example: You encrypted bitlocker on win10 v1809 and now you try to recover it on Win10 v1507. 1507 then would not accept the recovery key although it is correct. Can you rule that out? What version number does the command

winver

return?

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Kaz974, your feedback is needed. Did the proposed method work for you?
    Sunday, March 3, 2019 10:25 AM