Vista Black screen with Cursor after Startup RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I had a crash in a Skype call with someone, and everything went downhill from there really. I started up my computer again, and I was able to get past the welcome screen, and to a black screen with a cursor. I tried opening up task manager, it didn't work at the time, and eventually after my computer freezing up, I shut it off, and this time windows wanted to run check disk. So I let it, I was able to get in this time but I got a blue screen saying REGISTRY_ERROR. I was freaking out badly now, thinking my entire system might be corrupted, but I wouldn't give up easily.

I started it up in safe mode, which surprisingly worked. I had a boost in moral at this point, because all my files also loaded. I started windows normally. I had the black screen thing again, but after a while I had a program pop up. I proceeded to open task manager.

It opened up, and I ended the old explorer process (which was using a very small amount of memory at the time, if that matters at all) and loaded up a new one. This one worked. I am currently posting this on the same computer that has the issue.

I seen others who had similar issues, but I could open task manager and start up explorer.exe, so I am a special snowflake among these other ones.

I don't quite know what a good way of going about the issue would be, should I system restore? Is there a problem with the shell? I don't exactly know what I should do, any sort of information should help.

Some other possibly unrelated things:

Recently, my driver has been crashing (should I update that, is that the reason this is happening?)

My files are all intact, I saved important ones. What should I do?

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 4:41 AM

Answers

• Nevermind. I took matters into my own hands and it took only a single system restore to fix the issue!

Crisis averted!

8)

• Marked as answer by jamesfelicia Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:13 AM