Hyper-V Configuration Version 8.0 - Windows Boot Manager Error 0xc0000603 in Windows 10 build14393.5 and 14393.10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

When I install Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 on a generation 2 VM in Hyper-V Configuration Version 8.0 running in Windows 10 build14393.5 and 14393.10. The VM fails to boot, Windows Boot Manager and Hyper-V Virtual Machine Boot Summary reports the following:

Windows Boot Manager:
    Info: An unexpected error has occurred.

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Boot Summary:
    1. SCSI Disk (0,0) The image's hash was denied (DBX)
    2. SCSI Disk (0,1) The boot loader failed - Time out.
    3. SCSI Disk (0,0) The image's hash was denied (DBX)

Regards
    Frederick

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi all

I ran into the same issue: Windows 10 Version 1607 (Build 14393.10).

My workaround is to simply disable Secure Boot in the VM configuration and I had to remove the DVD Drive too. With that, you can boot WS2016 TP5 in a Gen2 VM.

Best regards,

Claudio

• Proposed as answer by -Mr Happy- Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, August 22, 2016 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:42 PM
  • After writing my previous post, i had the idea to reuse my nested Hyper-V VM Gen2 Configuration that still works.

This page https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/vmrs/ inspired me to use the compare-VM command, without success ... so i used the GUI instead.

Using the "Import virtual machine" wizard :

- select the VM Folder

- Import type : "Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique id)"  (new id as i'm on the same host)

- select destination, etc.

After renaming the new VM (import keeps the name, but with a new VMid), i created a new differential VHD from the same parent and corrected the VM disk configuration.

Then, powered on... and it worked !

> Tested with another VHD parent (my VHD TP5 'syspreped' before my 1607 update, as i mentioned in my other post), it works fine too.

> With a blank VHD and mounting the TP5 ISO : the installation works great.

If you do not have a working TP5 VM already, i think that exporting a Gen 2 VM configuration from a Hyper-v W10 1511 & import it on 1607 will do the trick !

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:03 PM
  • You can also take a look at this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172729

It contains a workaround that should get you unblocked with a Gen2 VM. If there are any updates/improvements, this KB article will get updated.

• Edited by Lars Iwer [MSFT] Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ih21 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, August 22, 2016 4:48 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Frederick,

fyi, I ran into the same problem today on my Windows 10 Version 1607 (Build 14393.5), but found a workaround:
    Using a generation 1 VM, the reboot worked and the setup continues.

@All: Of course only a workaround. Has someone a solution for generation 2 VMs?

Best Regards

Johann

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Hi Frederick,

I'm afraid I could not find any information about the error.

Have you tried to use gen1 VM as Johann mentioned?

Anyway, considering Win10 was just released and Server 2016 is a preview version, some features may not work properly. We could wait for later updates and documents.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:10 AM
  • Hi all

I ran into the same issue: Windows 10 Version 1607 (Build 14393.10).

My workaround is to simply disable Secure Boot in the VM configuration and I had to remove the DVD Drive too. With that, you can boot WS2016 TP5 in a Gen2 VM.

Best regards,

Claudio

• Proposed as answer by -Mr Happy- Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, August 22, 2016 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:42 PM
  • From Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile

Known issues for PC

• A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.

So no-one on the TP5 side aware of this???

Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:54 PM
  • I've got the same issue, except disabling secure-boot and removing the DVD (either the disk or the entire drive) doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Looks like it is an issue with Gen2 2016TP5.  I just got a Gen1 and a 2012R2 started.

Mike Shepard

Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:56 PM
  • ...same issue for me with a fresh win10 install (14393.10 build) - can´t start Gen2 2016TP5 VMs.

tried the workaround, disable Secure boot and remove DVD but problem still exists. VM crashed with unexpected error - status: 0xc0000603 on boot

Any ideas?

Thanks for help in advance,

Markus

Sunday, August 7, 2016 12:33 PM
  • ...same issue for me with a fresh win10 install (14393.10 build) - can´t start Gen2 2016TP5 VMs.

tried the workaround, disable Secure boot and remove DVD but problem still exists. VM crashed with unexpected error - status: 0xc0000603 on boot

Any ideas?

Thanks for help in advance,

Markus

When you disabled secure boot did you leave the DVD and the disc in and run the setup and start setup from scratch again? If that does not work create a Gen1 VM and install TP5.
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Well just tried installing TP5 on 14393 Hyper-V with secure boot disabled and it failed after the first boot, so I guess that workaround does not work anymore. So looks like a TP5 VM on Hyper-V on Windows 10 14393 aka 1607 needs to be Generation 1
    • Edited by -Mr Happy- Sunday, August 7, 2016 6:38 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 6:37 PM
  • Hi all,

I have the same behavior:

- TP5 VMs installed previously the 1607 update : still works (even with Secure Boot).

- A new installation in a VM Gen2 failed with the same errors.

Before 1607 update, i had created a VHD with TP5 'syspreped', but with no more VM attached to it :

- Using it in a new Gen2 VM fails in the same way (secure boot or not).

- In a Gen1 VM : Boot failure (obviously)

I had a nested WS TP5 hyper-v VM that was still working after 1607 update : I syspreped it, made a new differential disk and attached it to the VM : The VM boots fine.

But if i create a new differential VHD from the same parent disk & attached it to a new VM : same errors, secure boot enabled or not.

Removing DVD Drive did not changed anything.

So, I am creating new Gen1 VMs and based disk and will switch to Gen2 after a fix...

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 3:16 PM
  • After writing my previous post, i had the idea to reuse my nested Hyper-V VM Gen2 Configuration that still works.

This page https://blog.workinghardinit.work/tag/vmrs/ inspired me to use the compare-VM command, without success ... so i used the GUI instead.

Using the "Import virtual machine" wizard :

- select the VM Folder

- Import type : "Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique id)"  (new id as i'm on the same host)

- select destination, etc.

After renaming the new VM (import keeps the name, but with a new VMid), i created a new differential VHD from the same parent and corrected the VM disk configuration.

Then, powered on... and it worked !

> Tested with another VHD parent (my VHD TP5 'syspreped' before my 1607 update, as i mentioned in my other post), it works fine too.

> With a blank VHD and mounting the TP5 ISO : the installation works great.

If you do not have a working TP5 VM already, i think that exporting a Gen 2 VM configuration from a Hyper-v W10 1511 & import it on 1607 will do the trick !

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:03 PM
  • Problema continua!

Att. Gabriel Luiz

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:50 AM
  • You can also take a look at this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172729

It contains a workaround that should get you unblocked with a Gen2 VM. If there are any updates/improvements, this KB article will get updated.

• Edited by Lars Iwer [MSFT] Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ih21 Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, August 22, 2016 4:48 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Thank you for the information. :)
    Sunday, August 14, 2016 3:39 PM
  • I'm also still having the problem and none of the solutions seems to help.

Sunday, October 2, 2016 5:23 PM
  • I'm also still having the problem and none of the solutions seems to help.

From Description of the security update for Secure Boot: August 9, 2016

1. Open the Hyper-V Manager, right-click the VM, and then select Settings.
    2. In the navigation pane, select Security.
    3. In the details pane, select Microsoft UEFI Certificate Authority in the Template list.
    4. In the details pane, click to clear the Enable Secure Boot check box, and then click OK.

Now the odd part of this to me is having to change a setting, then disable \ uncheck it. But from memory that worked for me.

Also Windows 2016 Server Evaluation has now been released, so download that and try (it is version 14393)

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Sunday, October 2, 2016 5:46 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2016 5:42 PM
  • I had to also enable TPM in the VM security settings and left the "encrypt state..." unchecked. I was then able to boot the Gen2 2016 TP5 VM from Windows 10, build 14393.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:39 PM
  • For a weird alchemy, selecting "Microsoft UEFI Certificate Authority in the Template list" and then disabling the secure boot allow the Windows Server 2016 TP5 VM starts.

Thanks

Fabio

fabio landi

Monday, November 7, 2016 10:29 AM