Cannot click icons? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small business network with the problem being in a W7 64 ULT edition desktop, this is logged onto a domain on a server 08 R2.  This workstation for some reason *randomly* seems to have all the icons on the left side of the screen 'lock' or become totally unclickable.  You can still use the start menu and anything along the taskbar at the bottom as well as anything else but it seems like the desktop is becoming randomly 'locked'.  I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this one out without doing a clean install.  To solve the problem either logging off and on again or rebooting will clear it up, sometimes for hours or days.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:36 PM

All replies

• I have a small business network with the problem being in a W7 64 ULT edition desktop, this is logged onto a domain on a server 08 R2.  This workstation for some reason *randomly* seems to have all the icons on the left side of the screen 'lock' or become totally unclickable.  You can still use the start menu and anything along the taskbar at the bottom as well as anything else but it seems like the desktop is becoming randomly 'locked'.  I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this one out without doing a clean install.  To solve the problem either logging off and on again or rebooting will clear it up, sometimes for hours or days.  Any ideas?
    Hi

Random issues, such as the one you describe can be very difficult to track down.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure all of drivers for the installed hardware are updated.

Uninstall or disable any third party toolbars, alternate desktop software, gadgets, or any third party desktop wallpaper or themes or anything else that is installed and appears on the desktop.

Check the Event Viewer for any repeating errors that may occur when this behavior manifests itself. 

Let us know what you find.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, January 8, 2010 12:21 AM