Windows Update Not Working on 3 WS2012R2 Machines? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

This is the first time I've come to the forums for help.

If anyone else has any experience with a similar issue and has a fix it would be much appreciated.

I've got a customer server setup that has WS2012R2 STD running as a host, for HyperV and Backup purposes. But I'd still like to keep the host updated,

2 of the HyperV guests are WS2012R2 STD machines also.

None of these 3 units are getting Windows Update's, I've checked all firewall rules, and there is no issues there,

However I came across a powershell script that I could use that checks outstanding updates and downloads + installs via PS. But this is a manual solution and needs to be run again from the beginning after every restart.

I know it's a very open ended question but any assistance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• What's in windowsupdate.log file ? Is the server able to scan for updates ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Hi Arnav,

The log from the last time it tried to update is following.
    Prior to this the last check was 2016-09-28.

I have had a brief look over it and can see that it has had trouble connecting but I'm not sure what the recommended fix for this situation is, any help is appreciated.

Please let me know if you need any further information, hopefully the issue is identical for all 3 installations.

Sorry the text was too long, had to use https://jpst.it/Pd8Y

Click here for the log

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:09 AM
  • HI Gpanucci,

I'd recommend following:

first we need to know some information:

1- is your customer getting updates from control panel like going manually and checking for updates or he has SCCM or WSUS in place?

2- go to this Microsoft Article kb/885819 under workaround section and in your customer's company firewall\proxy configuration make sure the websites mentioned are excluded and you might get help from company security team on that.

3- restart wuauserv service.  (to set a marker in the log file and please write down exact time in HH:MM)

4- check for updates from control panel

5--send me the whole C:\windows\windowsupdate.log file

Thanks
    Mahmoud

Microsoft CTS

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi Mahmoud,

Thanks for your response!

In response to your questions

Control Panel - Doesn't find any updates after hours of searching

SCCM - No

WSUS - No

2. I had wildcard exceptions on most sites listed in that KB, but I have now explicitly copied each one individually.

3. Done. 5.12pm AEDT

4. No luck still :(

5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf5y901eecpymle/WindowsUpdate.log?dl=0

Hopefully this can shed some light on the issue?

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi Gpanucci,

here you go:

- from windowsupdate.log file apparently after service starts it fails to detect for updates with following error:

============

WARNING: Failed to find updates with error code 8024a008

============

BUT what is more important is following part:

===================

149 [AU_UNABLE_TO_CONNECT] 102 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 AutomaticUpdates Failure Software Synchronization Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

===================

so i think it's clear now ? it's unable to connect! 

you can take it up with the network team to troubleshoot or you can do following also if you want further in depth troubleshooting:

1- download Microsoft network monitor 3.4 to this affected server

2- start capture

3- restart wuauserv service

4- check for updates manually

5- once you get error stop capture.

above steps should be done closely meaning don't allow much time between the steps.

send me the windowsupdate.log file as well as the capture file after you save it.

note: in previous log file that you shared it seems you kept restarting wuauserv service multiple times. please don't do this next time.

Thanks and hope this helps

Mahmoud

• Proposed as answer by mahelsay Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Hi Gpanucci,

Please check if after doing the following things could help:

1. Run windows update troubleshooter on the problematic machines, it may help solve general issues;

2. Reset windows update components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

3. Check the version of the windows update agent, if it's not the latest one, please update it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

4. Clear SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution:

1) In cmd, run net stop wuauserv; 2) Delete or rename SoftwareDistribution folder; 3) In cmd, run net start wuauserv;

After doing the above, check for update again, if still have issues, check the error in windows update log after then.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Hi Gpanucci,

Have you got any progress with your issue? Could the above replies be of help? If yes, please mark related reply as answer, if not feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:15 AM