none
UAG File Access: Publishing UNC Shares, Hidden Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have basically two questions re UAG File Access Sharing.
    I'm running UAG 2010 RTM, latest patches and hotfixes as of today.

How do I publish a hidden share in the File Access Admin console in UAG?
    The trick to modify the ShareAccessCFG.xml file (as mentioned in notes for IAG) does not work in UAG.

How do I publish a DFS Domain share, like "\\<domain>\<dfs-share-name> in UAG?

Any comment very welcome?

Jim

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Raúl,

I found how it's going to work.

The sequence is as follows:

1. Open UAG Mgt Console (just the Console)
    2. Edit and Save ShareAccessCfg.xml
    3. Activate configuration
    4. Open File Access Admin

Also, the DFS Share works as well.

Modify ShareAccessCfg.xml with entries as follows:

1. In the <servers> section add: <server name="myDomain\myDFS-NameSpaceDomain" marked="1" provider="MS" />
    2. In the <shares> section add: <share name="myDomain\myDFS-NameSpaceDomain\ShareName" marked="1" provider="MS" />

This will show up the "myDFS-NameSpaceDomain" under Servers in the FileAccess Admin Console.

Regards

Jim

• Marked as answer by Jim J Reed Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:24 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Amigo. Manually editing ShareAccesscfg should work. I have used it some time ago. Could you share with us the contents of the file. The only precaution when working with xml files is not to break the structure of xml. Try to edit the file with Internet Explorer and see if you can see the whole code or an error appears.

Regards

// Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Hi Raúl,

... and how do I avoid that the file does not get overwritten the next time the gui is opened?

I tried it and all changes were lost. I also have to mention that the UAG is a NLB cluster so as far as I understand the only way to manage UAG is to use the GUI.
    Just to make sure should the concept of the CustomUpdate folder here apply as well?

Regards

Jim

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi Amigo. There is no CustomUpdate for FileAccess. The file to be modified is the original file. Regarding the changes, when the GUI is opened, it reads the configuration from ShareAccesscfg so what you have manually written should be showed in the GUI. If you add, the changes should be merged with your content. At least, that is what the theory says

Regarding the array. You are right that not every single file is replicated during synchronization (regular files like asp and files in the installation folder are not replicated), but as far as I understand, the configuration files do replicate and shareaccesscfg is a configuration file so, no matter if configured manually or through the GUI, it has to be synchronized to the other members of the array.

Regards

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:13 PM
  • As soon as I launch Forefront UAG management Console, the file ShareAccessCfg.xml gets overwritten from the last config of UAG Mgt.

Jim

BTW: selecting "Activate Configuration" the files get replicated. You can monitor it in UAG Activation Monitor.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Amigo. Could you, please, try this? Edit shareaccessblablabla with your changes. Open the UAG Mgmt Console (not File Access). Activate the configuration. Then open Admin->FileAccess. Could you check if your changes are still there?

Hope this time it definitely helps !!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:46 PM
  • That's exactly what I did. I was only monitoring the file ShareAccessCfg.xml in the directory, without touching FileAccess at all.
    Right after I had launched the UAG Console, the file was overwritten.

So my guess is, that since UAG (transition from IAG to UAG), MS did some changes to the Whale SW implementation. It looks like to me, that everything about config is in AD and from there written out to the UAG\von structure.

I'll have a check if I find something in AD re FileAccess.

Jim

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Hi Amigo. I have done right now what I suggested in the previous post and it is working. I am running UAG with Update 1. Regarding the role of AD LDS in the configuration, for me, the changes that are done in the console are dumped to configuration files as it used to be. When activating, I guess the configuration is somehow uploaded to AD LDS. So, if there is some info in configuration files (manually or GUI) and then you activate, that info will be uploaded and it will be available when you open the GUI.

Sorry that it is not working for you

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Thank you. I'll give it a shot tomorrow just a little tad different. Let's see.

About the Config layout: I use 2 DC's (just AD and DNS) and 2 UAG's (members of the DC's domain).
    How is yours?

Jim

• Marked as answer by Jim J Reed Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jim J Reed Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Hi does this method also applys to "How do I publish a DFS Domain share, like \\<domain>\<dfs-share-name> in UAG?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Hi Raúl,

I found how it's going to work.

The sequence is as follows:

1. Open UAG Mgt Console (just the Console)
    2. Edit and Save ShareAccessCfg.xml
    3. Activate configuration
    4. Open File Access Admin

Also, the DFS Share works as well.

Modify ShareAccessCfg.xml with entries as follows:

1. In the <servers> section add: <server name="myDomain\myDFS-NameSpaceDomain" marked="1" provider="MS" />
    2. In the <shares> section add: <share name="myDomain\myDFS-NameSpaceDomain\ShareName" marked="1" provider="MS" />

This will show up the "myDFS-NameSpaceDomain" under Servers in the FileAccess Admin Console.

Regards

Jim

• Marked as answer by Jim J Reed Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:24 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Yes, DFS works. See my last note.

Jim

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Hi Amigo. Glad to hear that.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi all, i tried to publish a dfs share, but i cant see its icon in fileaccess if i type the url its open.

Am i doing something wrong? I can see the dfs in the shares, but i dont see it in the Server tab in the FleAccess configuration.

tnx, Zarko!!!

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I went to modify my Sharefileaccess.xml only to see that all the servers and their shares are already listed. Yet they don't show up in File Access
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Jean,

Restart the Microsoft Forefront UAG File Sharing service and see if that fixes it.

-Ran

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Jim,

In researching another problem - I discovered that there is a file in \Microsoft Forefront Unified Access Gateway\backup, called WhlBackup.cab.  This file is updated when you do a SAVE from UAG Management Console.  One of the files written into this file is von\FileAccess\ShareAccessCfg.xml.  

Further testing showed that if I modifed the ShareAccessCfg file, saved it and then started up the Management Console, the ShareAccessCfg.xml file is extracted from this file and put into the von\FileAccess directory, overwriting the previous changes.  

So it appears that they way around that is to start up the Management Console, now edit the ShareAccessCfg file, save/close it, and then do a SAVE from the management console, your changes will be in the file and, haven't tested yet, I would assume that the changes would show up in File Access.

If you open the .cab file, you can see what files and directories are copied and restored, i.e., overwrite current contents, in those directories.  I discovered this behavior when I was trying to prevent logins to array members while doing MS Windows OS updates - I had a login in file with <% response.end %> to prevent the login screen from being displayed, which worked as expected UNTIL I rebooted.  I was surprised to see users logging in - went to the CustomUpdate directory and, to my surprise, none of the files that I had modified were there.  

I have yet to find any documentation on this 'feature'.  One other note, when the array manager is rebooted, this .cab file appears to be copied to all array members, but not used, as far as I can tell.  If you reboot the array members - when is restored is what is in that .cab file.

Hope this helps,

John

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:37 PM