none
Services: Error 1053

Question

• From what I've learned so far, I believe the best way to do this is with services, correct? Unfortunately whenever I create a service (Using Resource Kit's 'Sc.exe'), the service does not start. I get the following error: "Windows could not start the VOIP Server service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I used the following command to create the service: "sc create "VOIP Server" binpath= "C:\SERVERS\VOIP\Server.exe" type= own start= auto"

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Johnwuzhere,

When you use Sc.exe to create a service, you need to specify a Servicename, Optionname, Optionvalue and binpath.

Please note that there’s no space between the Optionname and the equal sign.

Please also note that in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008, the binpath is located at C:\Windows\System32\Newserv.exe.

For more information, please refer to the KB article below.

How to create a Windows service by using Sc.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192/en-us

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:40 AM

All replies

• Using a 3rd party application such as FireDaemon seems to work perfectly though. I must have done something wrong when creating the services manually.

Any ideas?

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Hi Johnwuzhere,

When you use Sc.exe to create a service, you need to specify a Servicename, Optionname, Optionvalue and binpath.

Please note that there’s no space between the Optionname and the equal sign.

Please also note that in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008, the binpath is located at C:\Windows\System32\Newserv.exe.

For more information, please refer to the KB article below.

How to create a Windows service by using Sc.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192/en-us

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Karen,

Replying in the interest of having accurate information for the next person who comes along and reads this...  Did you test this?  I think your answer is incorrect on two counts: First, there *is* a space after the option name.  It should be "start= auto" -- otherwise the command fails.  Second, the binPath specifies the executable to launch when this service is started.  c:\windows\system32\newserv.exe is an *example* name, and not the name of an actual executable.  That should be replaced with the actual executable that you want to run as a service.  John was correct on both of these counts.

-Bryan

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Karen, you have no idea what are you talking about. Please, your kitchen needs you, come back and thanks for nothing.

ALSO:

WTF???? "Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Moderator" IT'S A JOKE?

Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:34 PM