Alert: Host Parent Partition CPU Utilization high RRS feed

• Question

• We've been moving some VMs around and today started to get many alerts like the one below. If I look at the host CPU it's sitting at 1%. Where the heck is SCOM seeing the CPU utilization so high?

Alert: Host Parent Partition CPU Utilization high

Source: MYServer.domain.com

Path: MYServer.domain.com

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 10/25/2016 7:44:25 AM Alert description: The parent partition CPU utilization is 82 and has exceeded the warning or critical levels for MYServer.domain.com

Orange County District Attorney

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

"To troubleshoot processor performance of guest operating systems on a Hyper-V environment, it is best to strive for a balance between the values reported by the host operating system for “\Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor(_Total)\% Total Run Time” (LPTR) and “\Hyper-V Hypervisor Virtual Processor(_Total)\% Total Run Time” (VPTR). If LPTR is high and VPTR is low then verify that there are not more processors allocated to virtual machines than are physically available on the physical computer."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768535%28v=bts.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

As the above article mentioned , 'LPTR' represent the physical cpu performance .

If that counter is not high , I'd suggest you try to clear cache for agent side then try again :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212884%28v=sc.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:17 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>If I look at the host CPU it's sitting at 1%.

Hyper-v host is also a virtual machine . To get the real physical CPU usage , you may run perfmon and counter "Hyper-v hypervisor logical processor" to check the physical CPU usage :

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the information. I have been watching the % Total Run Time counters and they don't get over 15-20% yet we still get Alerts. Is there another counter I should be looking at?

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:18 PM
  • Hi Sir,

"To troubleshoot processor performance of guest operating systems on a Hyper-V environment, it is best to strive for a balance between the values reported by the host operating system for “\Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor(_Total)\% Total Run Time” (LPTR) and “\Hyper-V Hypervisor Virtual Processor(_Total)\% Total Run Time” (VPTR). If LPTR is high and VPTR is low then verify that there are not more processors allocated to virtual machines than are physically available on the physical computer."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768535%28v=bts.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

As the above article mentioned , 'LPTR' represent the physical cpu performance .

If that counter is not high , I'd suggest you try to clear cache for agent side then try again :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212884%28v=sc.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Elton

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, November 6, 2016 3:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:17 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:30 AM