Wireless is not able to Ping Internet after about 2 minutes - WinXP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am working on a friend's WINXP PC and after about 3 hours of work I still cannot get the Wifi to communicate with the internet after 2 minutes.  When PC boots I go to cmd and ping 4.2.2.1, www.yahoo.com and www.google.com and I get responses fine.  Let PC sit for about 2 minutes and I can no longer ping.  If I disconnect my wifi connection from the router and reconnect I can ping again, for about 2 minutes and then it stops.  He tells me that if he uses wireless on at home it works fine.  Only when he goes to a new wireless connection the Internet issues come up, which I have never seen before.

When hard wired everything works fine.  

One thing I found interesting is when I do a "Network Diagnostics" everything checks out except the Wireless device.

If I run right at startup when I can still ping the sites above I get...

Shows DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.1.254(Same Subnet)(PASSED)

DHCP Server = 192.168.1.254(FAILED)

DNSServerSearchOrder = 192.168.1.254(FAILED)

IPAddress = 192.168.1.68(PASSED)

If I run after I can longer PING the sites I get...

Shows DefaultIPGateway = 192.168.1.254(Same Subnet)(FAILED)

DHCP Server = 192.168.1.254(FAILED)

DNSServerSearchOrder = 192.168.1.254(FAILED)

IPAddress = 192.168.1.68(PASSED)

I Checked the IP Settings for the device and everything is set to Automatic.

Troubleshooting

I have Created another user profile and the issue follows

ran malwarebytes and restarted PC (Only found 1 issue that to me did not pertain, but I could be wrong)

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Wireless Driver

cleared out un-needed apps from msconfig startup

I have ran through resetting the winsock(several methods) - restarted PC

cleared any temp files I could find

Double checked IE settings and compared to my home PC that works on the same router

Uninstalled Antivirus Software

Noticed it had some old Netware Networking in the Wireless IP Properties - removed and restarted

I am sure there are other steps I am forgetting.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

UPDATE: PLEASE READ

After doing so more testing it looks like my connection to the Wifi stays fine until I try to go to a web browser.  Once I do that(rather it is IE, Chrome or Firefox) the connection goes out after about 30 seconds.  I can browse pages for that 30 seconds then it dies.  I can no longer ping 4.2.2.1 anymore AND I cannot ping 192.168.1.254 - which is my gateway on the router.  If I do a repair to the connection I can ping the addresses fine until I open a browser.  What the heck?  :)

I removed Chrome and Firefox.  Removed IE7 from Windows Components, rebooted and re-enabled.  Ran Malwarebytes again along with a windows spyware and they found nothing.  I disabled the firewall for the wifi connection and reinstalled the device one more time but the issue remains.

I'm close to just rebuilding the PC now because I have spent well over 8 hours on this thing and I could have just rebuilt it already  :) - I am STUMPED

Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:57 PM

Answers

• RESOLVED

I tested an external USB wireless card and it work fine.  Damnit - Onboard wireless card must be faulty.

I'm not sure why i did not think of this earlier.  I figured since it could connect to wireless networks the card was fine.

Testing fine now.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:39 PM

All replies

• Do you see anything in event logs?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Also, check if this problem is with your system only or also with other devices connected to same connection.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 3:00 PM
  • I am typing this in from a laptop on the same network.  It is PC specific.

I checked the logs and only really see something about a CDROM drive.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 3:23 PM
  • RESOLVED

I tested an external USB wireless card and it work fine.  Damnit - Onboard wireless card must be faulty.

I'm not sure why i did not think of this earlier.  I figured since it could connect to wireless networks the card was fine.

Testing fine now.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Thanks for sharing.

Saturday, March 8, 2014 5:33 PM