Windows 7 Slow performance & Lag RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Everyone,

In the past month or so, I've been having some very frustrating issues with windows 7.

They are

• General slow performance
    • Takes around 5-15 Seconds to open Folder & Programs
    • Right Click menus are also very slow
    • Also when I am typing in most programs (including Chrome) It's as if the computer has crashed only for it to catch up 5-10 seconds later.
    • I've been experiencing far more crash of Chrome too.  

I've only installed two programs in the past month, one being endnote, the other dropbox.

My system is Dell Vostro 1520 (more than capable to run windows 7's with multiple programs)

I have disabled all my process and startsups via msconfig, it seems to make things faster but I am still having issues.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather not throw my laptop across the room again :).

• Changed type Leo Huang Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:59 PM

All replies

• which powerplan do you use?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:44 PM
  •  

Hi, I am having the same issue.

Programs take a long time to open, especially MS Office 2010. All of my browsers: IE, Chrome and Firefox take 5-15 seconds to open (sometimes longer) and register delayed inputs like typing and clicking. Windows itself shows no response to double clicking until I've clicked four or five times, and then 30 seconds later multiple instances of a program will open up.

All programs including Windows system programs are affected. For example I just tried to open My Computer Properties and experienced a spinning blue circle and frozen/laggy performance for about 20 seconds.

The problem was not helped by Service Pack 1. I disabled all my startup programs and discontinued several services including ReadyBoost, Superfecth and Search.

All my drivers are up to date. Sometimes I have the impression like I'm getting very delayed hard drive reactions, but the drive is not grinding, and sometimes access times are just fine. I notice no difference with or without a flash drive and Readyboost.

I've tried disabling autotuning, thinking it might be a network issue. But when I turned off my antivirus (Panda Cloud) to install SP1, I disconnected the Internet and performance did not improve.

SOmetimes when I stay in a program for 15 minutes, that particular program starts to behave OK. For example, now I have been in Firefox for 10 minutes and the typing no longer lags.

Also, installing programs can take VERY long. Like overnight. And sometimes the computer will not shut down.

The Windows install is fresh. I upgraded from XP, experienced the problem, and did a reformat and reinstall but the problem still exists.

Here is my system setup:

• Quad Core 8200 processor
    • 4GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM
    • Nvidia NForce 750sli FTW mobo
    • Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB vidcard
    • Panda Cloud antivirus
    • WD 500GB SATA hard drive, brand new
    When it ran XP, it flew. Now with Windows 7 32bit it's a dog. My upstairs HTPC is also running Win7 and has no problems whatsoever. Help! I don't know what to do next.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I disabled all my startup programs and discontinued several services including ReadyBoost, Superfecth and Search.
    here is the issue. Disabling Superfetch slows down the PC extremely.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:34 PM
  • I will reinstate the process to test your fix, but the problem existed before i disabled Superfetch.
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:22 PM
  • I have a customer with a Dell Vostro 1520 with the same issues as well.  The customer called and said that almost every task they perform results in a lag time of about 15 - 20 seconds, sometimes more.  I noticed this as soon as I started working with the laptop.  Everything from Windows updates to just opening a browser results in a lag.  The hard drive runs like crazy during the lag time.  It doesn't matter whether there's antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) loaded on it or not, you get the same result.  There are no detectable root kits on this box and no signs of virus activity.

I loaded SysInternals and watched with Process Monitor.  I also watched disk activity with Resource Monitor.  Disk and processor resources are spread across various svchost threads, which is about what I'd expect to see while executing multiple tasks.  CPU will spike, and disk access will spike and stay around 100%.  I was hoping to pin it down to one program or process, but it seems that just about anything will result in the same problem.

About the only thing I haven't done yet is update the BIOS, chipset and drivers.  I have some hope that this will reduce or eliminate the problems I'm experiencing, since other Vostro 1520 users running Windows 7 have the same issues.  I'll post again after further investigation.  Anyone have other ideas?  Anything like Hyperthreading or some proprietary hard drive function?

Roy G. McKenzie
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Please make a xperf trace to diagnostic the slowness/hangs. Install the xperf [1], run the command prompt (cmd.exe) with admin rights [2] and run the commands:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -f kernel.etl
    xperf.exe -start UserTrace -on Microsoft-Windows-Win32k -f user.etl

Run the programs here which cause the hangs/not responding messages.

xperf.exe -stop UserTrace
    xperf.exe -stop
    xperf -merge user.etl kernel.etl hangs.etl

Please upload the hangs.etl file to your SkyDrive [3] and post a link here. I'll take a look at it, maybe I can see more details.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=146919
    [2] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token
    [3] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:03 PM