Can not reinstall Windows 7: "Setup couldn't create new system partition" RRS feed

• General discussion

• My Win 7 installation is very unreliable with lots of problems concerning wake up from standby, ATI display driver crashing often and several other glitches. So I decided to do clean restart, wipe out my Win 7 installation and do a complete new install.
    When I choose my former Win 7 partition, I always get an error message (I hope my translation is correct):
    "Setup couldn't create a new system partition or couldn't find an existing." There's a hint to look for the installer log, but I couldn't find it.
    I tried the follwing:
    1) Deleting the partition
    2) Deleting the partition and reformating with NTFS
    3) Deleting the partition from PartedMagic, watching for a hidden partition
    Nothing helped. I'm always get stucked with the same error.

So, what can I do? Any suggestions? Are there some files or partition informations left which I also have to delete?

Windows 7 x64 - Gigabyte EP-45-DS3 (Intel P45 chip set), 4GB RAM, ATI 4670
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:52 PM

All replies

• Are you using BitLocker?  It can cause lot's of partition problems (but I know very little about it).
    Beyond a full "low-level" format, repartitioning, and reformatting - I don't have any suggestions.
    - John
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:09 PM
    Answerer
  • There is usually a 200MB hidden system partition containing the \boot\BCD database.

I would think that PartedMagic should have seen it.Mayby there is a remnant of it somewhere.

I would zero the MBR and sector 63, the boot sector of the hidden partition.  Then try again.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for your answers.
    @usasma: I don't use BitLocker at the moment.

@bnborg: I read about that hidden system partition and so I already had a look with PartedMagic, but I didn't see it. I'll try it again with the latest version of PM released some days ago.

I forgot to mention that I already tried writing a new MBR using the repair console of my XP installation.
    Are there any tools to delete sector 63?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:00 PM
  • When I do raw disk editing, I usually use DskProbe.exe, an old Windows Resource Kit tool.

Otherwise, I boot a Norton Utilities 2002 cd that I have and use DiskEdit.

Fixmbr in the command console only rewrites the binary code in the mbr.  The partition table and disk serial number are retained.  Fixboot does a similar job on a boot sector.

If you have Vista or Server 2008 available, there is a new tool, diskpart.exe.  It has a clean command that will do a good job of zeroing out the mbr and all boot sectors, including hidden ones.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 9:30 PM
  •  

How many partitions do you have?  Are you trying to use the entire disk, or just a dedicated partition?  Need a little more information about your drive layout and configuration to include other drives connected.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:49 PM
  • My setup  consists of two SATA disc, both divided into several partitions, running in AHCI mode.
    On disc 1 there is one primary partition with Win XP, a second primary with Win 7 (this is the above mentioned) and the rest is occupied by a logical partition, all NTFS formatted.
    The second disc contains a primary partition with another Win XP installation (for gaming), one empty partition and the rest is used by several data partitions (all NTFS).

First install of Win 7 was fine, no problems at all. As I mentioned before, I'm trying to get a stable system by starting from scratch. So I deleted the Win 7 partition and tried a new install on it. But unfortunately, without any change of my disc configuration, I'm not able to do a new installation.
    I just found another thread concerning this problem.

• Edited by Stepinsky Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:32 PM link added
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I am having the same problem when trying to install.  I can boot the install dvd or run it from vista 64 with the same results.  The second partition  on my drive (formatted to 60gb ntfs/primary) is visible but win7 gives me "Setup couldn't create a new system partition or couldn't find an existing."

I can't find the setup log that is mentioned and the drive partition has been resized and formatted several times to no avail. 

Nvidia 750i chipset, Q6600, 8gb ram, 320gb WD eide drive.

Doesn't know a thing.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:20 AM
  • I'm having the same problem reinstalling Windows 7 on an Intel Matrix RAID 1 configuration. I adjusted the RAID volumes, so I guess the Intel RAID utility interfered with the Windows 7 hidden partition in some way. When I went to install Windows 7 the second time, I selected Partition 1 and Windows did NOT ask to create its hidden partion that time (suggesting, perhaps, that it knew it was already there). But then I couldn't get past the "Next" button on that screen.

I've tried deleting and recreating partitions, formatting them, etc. Now I'm trying the "Startup Repair" option on the Windows 7 install disk. Barring that, I guess I'll have to find some kind of third-party partitioning tool to get rid of the damn thing, or maybe low-level format the two drives and start all over.

My 2 cents: a hidden recovery partition is a nice idea, but ONLY if it's well-implemented. That means that it should be easy to handle, and it shouldn't conflict with anything -- particularly Windows 7's own reinstall! If Microsoft can't make a recovery partition that's completely transparent, they have no business making one at all.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Dude I was in your shoes and I found what the problem is... Windows install wnt allow the bios of your Pc to point at any other hdd than the one you intent to install windows on, so go to the BIOS and change the hdd order temporarilly to the hdd you will copy winblows and you will see the setup start with no delay....
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Dude I was in your shoes and I found what the problem is... Windows install wnt allow the bios of your Pc to point at any other hdd than the one you intent to install windows on, so go to the BIOS and change the hdd order temporarilly to the hdd you will copy winblows and you will see the setup start with no delay....
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:04 AM
  •  This was indeed my problem. Thanks for posting your tip linuxuser77!

Just re-arranging the boot sequence in the BIOS makes Windows accept the drive.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Boot sequence rearrangement worked for Intel brd se7210tp1scsi, in which the scsi card used ADPU320.inf. Set in BIOS as first device, used BBS switch to go to dvd drive. Please pass on to U320 Adaptec users.  WIN7 had drivers on release to manufact 6 AUG download
    Friday, August 7, 2009 10:18 PM
  • I have the problem so I'll give the boot order a try, can't believe Windows 7 is so tetchy!
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:19 AM
  • I had the same problem, I've changed the boot order and am installing as I type this. Thank God for the interweb. Now I just wish I hadn't formatted a 500GB drive and lost all my data before looking for answers here, that'll be the lesson for today.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:00 AM
  • I had this problem as well, I solved it by unplugging all but the drive I was trying to install Win7 to.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Hi there,

I have the exact same problem with installing Windows 7 on a 500 GB Fujitsu harddrive.
    Changing the boot order doesn't seem to work for me (the install harddrive as first boot device) and changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE didn't do the trick as well.

Please note that I am installing Windows 7 from a bootable flash USB stick.

Concerning the boot order, do I need to follow an EXACT priority order? What should that be then?

It now is:

1. IDE0 : FUJITSU MJA2500BH G2 (the only drive and the drive I want to install Windows 7 to)
    2. IDE1 :
    3. USB CDROM :
    4. USB FDD :
    5. USB HDD : Generic-Multi-Card (this is the USB stick with the bootable Windows 7 setup)
    6. Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Jeremy, the USB flash might be what is confusing setup.

Setup might be interpreting the USB flash as the first hard drive.  I know it shouldn't do that, but setup is pretty "dumb" at this point.

If setup is showing the 500G drive but failing to install, it could be that it is trying to put the boot files on the USB.  It would fail because the drive is not formatted ntfs, or it is read-only, or it is trying to create a 200MB partition at the beginning of it and can't.

If setup is not seeing the 500G drive it needs the driver(s).

Try opening a command prompt after booting setup and selecting "repair my computer".  In the prompt enter diskpart.  In diskpart, try "list disk" to see all detected drives, and "list vol" to see detected volumes and assigned letters.

Brian.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I had to go into my Bios and turn off all my drive except the one I wanted to load windows 7 on. It then loaded fine. Went back into the Bios turned everything back on. Booted off my Vista disc and did a start up repair to get Vista back in the boot list. Restarted and now I get both vista and Win7 at boot up. This was way too difficult.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Well, I couldn't change any bootsequence of the 2 harddrives. Just one option hdd among the other periphericals. So I unplugged onee of the two drives and now it's installing. Thanks for the tips.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Unplugging one drive worked for me.  However, one drive was 'dynamic' hdd so it wouldnt even let me do it alone on that one. (This one had bigger space)

Friday, December 4, 2009 5:46 AM
  • It took me a month to get it working, so I'm posting my findings.

I tried everything including partitioning using gparted, unplugging all the other hard drives, contacting the mother board manufacturer for SATA drivers which they told me they didn't have, and even trying to install XP first on the new partition to try to make it a system partition.

This is what worked for me in the end. Do NOT boot off the DVD and try to install Windows 7 on your new partition via the DVD (this always gave me the "Setup couldn't create new system partition" error) . Instead
    1. Launch your existing version of Windows XP
    2. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD and allow it to auto-run (or find and run setup.exe)
    3. You can then select the partition you want to install Windows 7 onto
    4. When the computer restarts during the installation process, make sure to take your DVD out of the drive so that it doesn't boot off the DVD
    5. You should then be taken to the rest of the installation menus as they would have been copied onto your hard drive by this stage.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:41 AM
  • I've been going through the same ____ for a few days. I already have XP Pro 32 that I want to keep while I transition to 7 Pro 64. I have four physical drives, three SATA and one IDE, as follows:

SATA 0 - 1 TB,  four partitions including XP
    SATA 1 - 500 GB, back up and imaging
    SATA 2 - 500 GB, brand new for Win 7
    IDE 4 - 74 GB, legacy drive

I want to keep my existing OS and data, but Win 7 would not install with the Setup couldn't create new system partition error.

I'm not suggesting my solution applies to all, or even most, of these problems, but this is what I found. There is a difference between BIOS boot order and SATA port sequence in this situation. Changing the boot order did not solve the problem. Putting the new drive on port 0 didn't work either... at first. BUT I noticed that the legacy IDE drive was showing as Drive 0 in Setup's list. So I disconnected it, thus ensuring that the new drive (for Windows 7) showed as the first drive.So this config now applies, and allows installation:

SATA 0 - 500 GB, brand new for Win 7
    SATA 1 - 500 GB, back up and imaging
    SATA 2 - 1 TB,  four partitions including XP
    74 GB, legacy drive - disconnected

Note that I didn't have to disconnect the XP drive, only change its SATA port.

I think the ordering in Setup's list is critical. If there is an alternative bootable or system drive nearer the top, you can't use a drive lower in the list. Setup has decided another drive must be the target for installation. Dumb as, IMHO.

Can I dual boot? Not sure yet - I'm still setting up Windows 7!
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:38 AM
  • I had the same problems but discovered, thanks to your help, it was even more daft.  I had to load a driver my my disk controller and used a USB key to do it.  Unfortunately the machine sees the USB key as a disk.  So, thanks to your pointers, I removed the key after installing the drivers and it all proceeded fine.

So far I am unimpressed with the lack of info during upgrade, and referring you to log files which don't exist when booted from the CD is not much help.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:44 AM
  • Thanks a lot LinuxUser, you saved me a lot of problems. Would have NEVER thought about that!! Thanks!!
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Thanks LinuxUser77, you saved my day (and night)!
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:38 PM

This was the exact problem I had (trying to dual boot Linux and Windows). Doing what you said fixed it, works perfectly now. Thanks! :D
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Many thanks from me too.  In my case it turned out that there was an SD card from my camera in the USB card reader, the BIOS had changed the priority to make it the first boot device.  I took that out and now all is as it should be.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:43 PM
  • LinuxUser77,

thanks for your post! although I found it late it still helped me...

some information I was experiencing...

Well I decided to rebuild my system. since I couldn't initially figure out what was causing my strange prompt (which by the way you could see the picture I took by going here to the Intel site http://communities.intel.com/message/106524#106524 . And I say intitally intentionally :( Well let me give some more information... So I had problems uninstalling the Arconis application so I contacted the support team at Arconis and they remoted my system and they managed to uninstall their application. Which by the way wasn't easy for them either to uninstall but they did it. I was still getting that strange prompt everytime I rebooted my system and they suggested I try to fix the MBR by running those two commands (bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot). Now mind you, I thought it was their application that caused that weird prompt.

Okay now I posted my question on two sites and was waiting for an answer. Since I was emotionally ready to rebuild my system and since I had all my files on an external drive, I decided to go for it. I booted off the Win7 DVD and went to rebuild my system. I configured the drive(s) (using RAID1 which is configured by Intel BIOS) but Win7 setup kept complaining about not being able to create the system partition... I was flabergasted. I was like, "now what??!!" Well I googled "system partition issues with win7" and I stumbled on a post somewhere on the Microsoft forum. Well someone posted a message very similiar to my new issue and the answer they received was something like, "do you have anything USB hooked up?"

When I read that, I was like "NO." I did! I had my iPod hooked up!!!!! well I removed the iPod and first off, I didn't get that weird prompt... Then next I continued into the Win7 reinstallation portion and configured my disk and as I type this, Win7 is installing!

Lessons learned:

1. don't leave the darn iPod hooked up
    2. Although I did have a problem with the backup software initially, in the end, that prompt wasn't caused by their application (i'm not absolving them mind you. They still need to fix their uninstall code).
    3. Google is great as long as you know how to type your questions...

Well I hope this somehow helps someone else in the future so that's why I'm posting my follies....

Badkarma0007.

Friday, November 5, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Babkarm007,

Your post was exactly on. I'm reinstalling W7 x64 after a disk crash on my Lenovo T400 and between the USB boot and the DVD boot I should have chosen and removed the USB stick once the DVD had booted.

Thanks a thousand times for making my live simpler!

Tompot

Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:28 AM
  • I had to remove my dvd drive, boot off a pxe server (TFTP32) into a wimpe3 image, then map a smb share on the server with a copy of the install disk. Ran setup.exe and it worked.

The computer work fine with AHCI or SATA but RAID was giving the error stated above. Not sure why getting the DVD drive out of the mix helped. But whatever it works now.

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:47 AM
  • I just came across this issue... i had RAID 0 setup with Bitlocker turned on via a USB key.   I ran into the same issue as you did.  However, my solution was to remove the USB key that was plugged in. 
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:10 PM
  • LinuxUser77,

Your post is over two years old but it was a TREMENDOUS help to me and after struggling for a day. You saved me countless more wasted hours. Thank you a million for taking the time to post your solution!

The rearrangment worked like a champ.  you are the bomb!

Nosonf65

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I know this is an older post, but it is so simple and helpful I just want to say thanks for sharing this solution.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:58 PM
  • thanks linuxuser77, you have saved my day!
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:19 PM

Thanks a billion times!

This was exactly my problem.

I have an Asus Eee PC netbook and I was trying to install win 7 from the USB. I had done it successfully before. but this time whatever I did, I kept getting this error: "Setup couldn't create a new system partition or couldn't find an existing."

The problem was that to make sure it will boot from the usb, in the bios, I had set my flash as a harddisk. I changed this and now I'm watching win7 install.

I almost got mad! Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Thank you a million times.  You're awesome.  Helped me when my drives were misbehaving!  I owe you one! :D
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Thank you a million times.  You're awesome.  Helped me when my drives were misbehaving!  I owe you one! :D

Just to say that unplugging my 2nd SATA drive fixed my problem too. Thanks to all who contributed.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:42 AM

Thank you!

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Boot sequence re-arrangement worked for me.

I had an IBM THinkCenter 8171-21U with a SATA DVD drive (which the Win 7 install disc was in) and a 1TB SATA HDD connected to a plug-in card which the BIOS believes is a SCSI drive - but does see with the adapter card BIOS.  Win 7 installer can't see it so I needed to load the driver to get it to show up.

Anyway, I had the DVD drive first in the boot order.  I switched the "SCSI" SATA drive to first and used F12 during the boot sequence to force booting from the Win 7 install disk.

So boot order solved this for me.  I guess the installer wants to know it will boot to itself.  Makes sense - just wish the message was more useful!

• Edited by apri1 Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:47 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:47 PM