Changes to document do not appear when opened by another user. RRS feed

• Question

• We're having an intermittent issue with one Word 2010 (SP1) user.  A secretary makes a change to a document, saves it to a network share, and closes the document.  When another user opens the same document (running the same version of Word), those changes do not appear in the document.  If the secretary opens the document again, the changes are there.  If the second user reboots, the changes finally appear.

It doesn't happen on every document, and the documents it does happen on don't appear to have anything in common, happens on both .doc and .docx.  However, it appears to be happening more frequently lately.  No one else on the network is having this issue.  Offline files is not used and is disabled on the secretary's computer.  We've deleted Normal.dotm on several occasions.

The computer is running Windows 7 Pro - 64bit.  The server is Windows SBS 2011.

Any help would be apprecaited.  Thanks.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:37 PM

Answers

• I've had problems with files on network shares that did not synchronize, even after many minutes.

I solved it by creating and setting these three registry keys to zero, as described in this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686200%28WS.10%29.aspx

This is something to try on the client computers that don't get the fresh version of the file.

J.

• Marked as answer by jknetworks Monday, October 1, 2012 4:35 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:15 PM

All replies

• I've had problems with files on network shares that did not synchronize, even after many minutes.

I solved it by creating and setting these three registry keys to zero, as described in this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686200%28WS.10%29.aspx

This is something to try on the client computers that don't get the fresh version of the file.

J.

• Marked as answer by jknetworks Monday, October 1, 2012 4:35 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Jack.  This looks promising.  I'll give the registry changes a try.   

John Kaiser

Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestion was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Thanks, Max.  We made the registry change on one of the computers having issues opening the latest version of the documents.  Ran a few test, and they were successful.  But Friday was a slow day in the office.  Since it's an intermittent problem, we'll give it a few more days to see if it reoccurs.   

John Kaiser

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi John,

How is everything going on so far?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Monday, October 1, 2012 6:18 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Didn't have the same issue last week.  I'll mark Jack's reponse as answered.  Thanks for response, Jack.

John Kaiser

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:35 PM