6TO4 drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I've been reading other threads on this subject and have the typical problem of the Code 31 problem. The device manager lists 3 occurances of the driver, each with the same error. When I show hidden devices, I now get 15 6TO4 items of which 12 are ok.  My questions are
    a) To reinstall, do I need to uninstall all 15 entries
    b) Why is there more than one 6TO4 entry since they all tie tol the same same file, tunnel.sys
    c) My new laserjet can only be accessed by an administrative account. A standard user has no access. This I assume is not a network issue, but????
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post and sorry for reply delay.

Because it’s not common that many items of Microsoft 6to4 adapter is displayed in Device Manager, I made some researches and discussions for this issue. Based on that, I can offer you the following information:

1.    These adapters are created when new interfaces come up and iphlpsvc.dll determines it as a new 6to4 interface. In other words, the adapter is reinstalled when unnecessary. This mistake is possibly caused by incorrect driver of chipsets or motherboard, so I highly recommend you to update related drivers to see if this can end the problem.

2.    You can delete the problematic items. And if you want to remove all of them and reinstall it, please firstly make sure that IPv6 is not deployed in your network environment so this behavior won’t affect your network connection.

3.    If IPv6 is not deployed, 6to4 adapter will not affect your system at all. You can disable it in registry, which can prevent 6to4 adapter is repeatedly installed.

To do that, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then type netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter.

Hope it helps! Happy new year!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:11 AM