WSUS Server sync with MS Update failing since 05 Sept 2018 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since 5 Sept 2018 our WSUS server has been failing to synchronise from MS update.  In the Synchronization Error details I see :

This server is configured to synchronise from MS update.

"The upstream server experienced an unexpected error.  Please try again at a later time."  in the detail I get:

SoapException: Fault occurred
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetUpdateData(Cookie cookie, UpdateIdentity[] updateIds)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.WebserviceGetUpdateData(UpdateIdentity[] updateIds, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, List`1& updatesWithSecureFileData, Boolean isForConfig)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.GetUpdateDataInChunksAndImport(List`1 neededUpdates, List`1 allMetadata, List`1 allFileUrls, Boolean isConfigData)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.GetAndSaveUpdateMetadata(List`1 updates)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRe

Help would be appreciated ...

Is there a way to further diagnose and ultimately fix ....

Regards,

Friday, September 7, 2018 3:41 PM

All replies

• Have followed posts on other forums and disabled synchronisation for Office 2016 and now WSUS synchronises with MS update fine - 

Come on MS sort it out .....

Friday, September 7, 2018 3:56 PM
  • I noticed the same issue with WSUS on 2008R2/2012R2 which started from 06/09/18. WebException timeout error. Tried to recheck Office 2016 and WSUS script to delete old and expired updates. No effects. Seems Microsoft update servers on maintenance to be ready for Windows 10 1809. Any comments?
    Saturday, September 8, 2018 10:50 AM
  • Syncing is now working for me.  I had the exact same issue.  No fixes resolved it.  Microsoft must have resolved the issue.  I'm not happy Bob.  Not happy.  Next time I'll check the forums first before I spend hours troubleshooting.
    Sunday, September 9, 2018 3:46 PM
  • Hello sir,

Glad to provide help with your issue.

As far as i know, it is not only you who have encountered this issue. It seems that some of the packages released in the 9/5 of the Office 2016 category have caused this problem. 

However, Microsoft has fixed this issue, and i could sync successfully in my lab now (9/10). So please check again in your environment again and it should work now.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 10, 2018 12:41 AM