SCCM migration: Repairing client set old configuration RRS feed

• Question

• We are migration SCCM 2012 to SCCM. We're assing PC with a script. SW distribution, etc...Works fine....but I've observed this situation:

1) If I repair a sccm client, it takes old configuration and point to old site and MP. I must reassing again it...

2) If I launch push installation to force client update, I solve 1)..client takes good configuration on repairing

How could solve 1) without launch push installation.. ?? I known that I can launch a package to update it...but I've tried it with some switches and it updates the client but I don't solve 1)

• Edited by Rivers75 Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:13 PM

All replies

• How are you reassigning the clients to the new ConfigMgr exactly, what's in the script? And how are you repairing the client in step 1 to see that behavior?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:15 PM
  • Was there a GPO that was used to assign the Clients to the old site?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

If use a GP, there is a registry: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client:  GPRequestedSiteAssignmentCode exists and lists the site.

if you use client push , the registry is

Best Regards,

Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Script

Dim pFSO,pSMSClient

On Error Resume Next

Set pFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

pSite = ""

Set pFichero = pFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\windows\Temp\EncontrarSiteSMS.log" ,8 , True)
    Set pSMSClient = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.Client")
    pSMSClient.SetAssignedSite "A00",0

Set pSMSClient = nothing
    Set pFSO = nothing

Registry

When you repair the client, it reads these params....

This key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCMSetup\LastSuccessfulInstallParams"

Because I don't update client, it picks up old configuration

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:44 PM
  • A quick search for that regkey returns this (Adam's reply): https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf091a72-7a86-4e85-a2d3-b55094128364/client-autoupgrade-failing-after-client-is-installed-via-an-osd-task-sequence?forum=configmanagerosd

It looks like you also have problems with auto upgrade based on the reply as well. Being under ccmsetup, it will probably only update/change when ccmsetup runs (and succeeds).

You can try changing the values in it if you want but I would not recommend that. Switch over your clients by properly installing the new client via ccmsetup.exe (push/package/etc), not just changing the assigned site code as your script is doing.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:39 AM
  • You did not answer my question, Rivers75. You have to remove the assignment regkey manually / scripted if you were using a GPO for site assignment.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Ant_G Friday, January 6, 2017 9:32 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Should I remove  that key before assign clients ? 

Monday, December 19, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

If you used GP to install client, you may disable the GP and delete the registry as Torsten said.

Best Regards,

Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:00 AM