none
Disk encrypted with Bitlocker but Lock icon missing

Question

• Enabling bitlocker usually adds a lock icon on the C drive in My Computer, and this is the case on all our machines except for Lenovo X1. Bitlocker gets enabled fine, but the lock icon does not appear. Does anyone have an idea why? Thanks

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:23 PM

All replies

• The lock does appear in Control Panel > Security > Bitlocker Endpoint Encryption, just not in My Computer.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Hi,

Your drive icon should be customized or changed. Please check whether there are any keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\driveicon. If so, please delete all the keys, then reboot to see whether the default icon is back.

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:18 AM
  • DriveIcons key is completely empty. I also noticed today tha tsome other X1 laptops do have the lock icon in My Computer.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

There are lots of methods that could change the drive icon. You can get them in the link below.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/65828-drive-icon-change.html (still not all)

Please check them one by one to make sure the Drive Icon is not changed by the methods above or change it back by the 3rd party software mentioned in this article.

If still no go, investigate your bitlock status by command bde-manage -status.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:03 AM
  • So is the suggestion to create script that checks for Bitlocker encryption status and change the disk drive icon accordingly? The issue only appears on one or two test machines so far and we're not in production yet. I was wondering if there's a bug that is causing this that we can fix before going to production.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Ancient post, but still, … just reboot your system. Windows doesn’t always catch on to new disks being encrypted. It will get the BitLocker icon once you reboot, however. (It was originally designed to require a reboot when you enabled it.)
    Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Did not work for my case, Windows 10 build 1511. Constant reboots, restarts, and the icon is still the an open lock in both my computer and manage bitlocker applet.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:42 PM