none
Primary to Secondary Prerequisites RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am attempting to configure Primary-to-Secondary DPM backups. The aim is to allow our secondary DPM server (currently empty) to backup all of the Hyper-V protections on the primary DPM server. The primary server is attached to the secondary server, I can view all of the shares, however there is no 'Protected Servers' which should enumerate and display all of the Hyper-V protected VM's.

I have attempted all of the troubleshooting tips as mentioned in the "known issues and recommended solutions on secondary protection" Technet Blog, which include:

• Ensuring the secondary server is able to contact all of the Hyper-V hosts as the primary server can
    • Checking that none of the Protection Groups contain special carachters
    • Check that the DPM Writer service is running on the primary DPM server
    • Check that DPMRA is running
    • Re-install the DPM agent

Is there a specific way primary-to-secondary protection is to be set up? How does one allow the secondary DPM server to view all of the Hyper-V protections?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

OK - so you are using scale out hyper-V cluster protection.  Secondary protection is not supported for scale out DPM protection - sorry.

Supported and unsupported scenarios in DPM

Secondary DPM protection of a Hyper-V cluster isn’t supported for a scaled-out DPM server deployment

Issue: When protecting a Hyper-V cluster using scaled-out DPM protection, you can’t add secondary protection for the protected Hyper-V workloads.

It's also mentioned in this Blog.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Robert_ZA Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:40 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please read this post and see if that solution may be your issue.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 13, 2015 9:51 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. That helped a lot. 

The one issue I'm still facing though is that I cannot get the secondary DPM server to 'see' the "Protected Servers" for the same Hyper-V host, under both of the primary DPM servers.

So I can view the 'Protected Servers' node and items on the one primary server (via the secondary DPM server), but I cannot view the same items/node of the Hyper-V host under the other primary server. It's as if the Hyper-V DPM agent is 'locked' to the one primary server, even though both primary servers are actively protecting the VM's from the same host, they just aren't both visible to be protected on the secondary DPM server.

Please see the image attached which may better illustrate my issue.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

OK - so you are using scale out hyper-V cluster protection.  Secondary protection is not supported for scale out DPM protection - sorry.

Supported and unsupported scenarios in DPM

Secondary DPM protection of a Hyper-V cluster isn’t supported for a scaled-out DPM server deployment

Issue: When protecting a Hyper-V cluster using scaled-out DPM protection, you can’t add secondary protection for the protected Hyper-V workloads.

It's also mentioned in this Blog.

• Marked as answer by Robert_ZA Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:40 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:53 PM