none
How to backup my Hyper-V nodes themselves? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding best practice information regarding the protection of the Hyper-V nodes themselves using DPM 2012 sp1. This typically means I am misunderstanding something basic. Everything I find describes how to backup your Hyper-V cluster, which to me means the CSV and everything in it. However, what I want is to protect the nodes themselves. It seems straightforward, except that I'm afraid to select the C: drive since in my nodes the "ClusterStorage" folder resides under the C: drive and this is a pointer to the entire CSV. So what is the best practice when it comes to selecting both of my Windows 2012 nodes which host Hyper-V?
    Monday, September 16, 2013 11:09 PM

Answers

• I never did get a response to this question so I went ahead with my best guess. I simply selected each of the hosts directly. I selected 'all volumes', the 'hyperv host' component, and the 'system state' for each one. The backup skipped the 'cluster shared volume' which resided on the c: drive, it must have intelligence built in to recognize this and skip it somehow because everything seemed to work fine.
    • Marked as answer by tallcann Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:31 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:31 PM

All replies

• I never did get a response to this question so I went ahead with my best guess. I simply selected each of the hosts directly. I selected 'all volumes', the 'hyperv host' component, and the 'system state' for each one. The backup skipped the 'cluster shared volume' which resided on the c: drive, it must have intelligence built in to recognize this and skip it somehow because everything seemed to work fine.
    • Marked as answer by tallcann Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:31 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Not sure if your backing up with Bare Metal Recovery but that's what I am using. Check by Modifying that protection group clicking on the host then selecting System Protection and verify that Bare Metal Recovery is selected as well as System State, this allows you to easily recover the hosts using Bare Metal Recovery when needed. This doesn't allow me to get into the drive to recover files off of C:\ but assuming that the hosts should be very clean with nothing extra why would I need to?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/11/01/data-protection-manager-2010-and-bare-metal-restore.aspx

Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:01 PM