Hard drive transfer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Okay, here's the situation:  My computer was recently fried by lightning.  I don't know how, as it was off at the time, as was it's surge suppressor, but it happened.

My problem is this:  I got an IDE to usb adaptor to transfer data to another computer from the hard drive, but on one of the user profiles, I had a password installed.  I can transfer data with no problem from the profile that wasn't password protected, but I get an error any time I try to access the data on the password protected side of the HD.  I'm sure that the HD is sound, as I can transfer data from one profile.  So, is there any way to bypass or remove the password that's keeping me away from my data, without corrupting or destroying said data?

Oh, I'm running Windows XP.  I son't know if this is the right forum for this question, but I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi

Here is the information.

To take ownership of a folder.

1.  Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2.  Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3.  Click Edit.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4.  Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

5.  If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6.  Click OK.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi

If these are simply normal folders and not Encrypted, you can simply Take Ownership of them to gain acess.

Go to Start and click on Help and Support. In the Search Box, type 'Ownership' and press Enter. Click the Troubleshoot "access denied" when opening files or folders  link. This will give you all of the information you need to open those folders and files.

Let us know if you have any problems.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, July 7, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Okay, I followed these directions, but when I searched "Ownership" the link described was not one of the search results.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hi

Here is the information.

To take ownership of a folder.

1.  Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2.  Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3.  Click Edit.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4.  Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

5.  If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

6.  Click OK.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:38 PM