none
locked out of external drive with bitlocker even though password and recocery key are correct RRS feed

• Question

• Can some please, please help me.

I have an external drive with about 2tb of data that I have been locked out from.

I finally decided to encrypt this drive with bitlocker. So I set up my password and saved my recovery key and then proceeded to encrypt. Whilst it was encrypting the usb cable became unplugged. So I reconnected but when I went to access the drive I was encrypting it said I had to use a newer version of Windows to access the drive and I wasnt even able to enter a password.

So I preceded to download the latest version of windows and this then let me put my password in. However, when I entered the same password I had just set up it would not accept it.

'the password entered is incorrect'

How can this be? I just set it up and had to enter it twice to confirm the password I had created.

So i thought I would just use my recovery key, but when entered it I got the following error message:

'The key doesnt match this drive'

Even though the identifiers match perfectly! What is going on here??? Have i just lost around 2tb of data??? How do I resolve this problem. I tried to download the bitlocker repair tool but got the error message:

Installer encountered and error:0x80096002

The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found.

Where do i go from here, PLEASE HELP !

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 6:10 AM

All replies