none
MAP Toolkit 5.5 multiple disk RRS feed

• Question

• We are assessing 2000 servers and our disk structure is C: for OS, and E: for apps.   I noticed that map toolkit 5.5 will consolidate total disk and use that to determine if disk is sufficient for windows 2008 upgrade.  However, C: only has 1gb, and it contains the OS.  E: has 20.gb, which contains application files.  So for our purposes, this server will fail assessment because C: has insufficient disk, but map toolkit 5.5 approves it for readiness because it looks at total disk across multiple drives.  Is there a workaround for this.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:10 AM

All replies

• Sorry, there is no way to have MAP only use a specific drive or to manually define what hardware properties a server has for the assessment. 

Since there is no direct upgrade from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2008, you could always repartition the drives during the clean install.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  We have hundreds of 2003 servers as well that need to upgrade to 2008.  Is there a similar tool (free or commericial) that has the capability to use a specific drive for assessment.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 7:53 PM
  • I am not aware of a tool that lets you define the drives to use for assessment.  One point of clarification that I would like to make though, MAP does assess each logical drive on a machine individually.  So in the case of your Server 2000 machines, it did look at both the 1 GB OS partition (C drive) and the 20 GB APP partition (E drive) as separate drives.  If the machine was listed as capable to run Server 2008, then it means that there was enough free space found on 1 of the drives on that machine to meet either the minimum or recommended system requirements.  If you have machines that are reported as capable for Server 2008 but do not have the necessary minimum free space, please let me know so we can troubleshoot further.

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:00 PM