none
Trouble deploying an image RRS feed

• Question

• My Goal:

Deploy a custom Image to a laptop using MDT via a external USB.

What I have done so far:

Created the Task sequence

Created Media on the deployment share

Created the custom sysprepped Image

Updated the task sequence to point to the custom image and updated the media so that the content is present on the share

Formatted and prepped an external drive

Copied the contents of the "Content" directory to the root of the external drive.

What is happening:

The target system boots from the USB fine and runs through the task sequence, however instead of imaging the target laptop it actually applies the image to the external drive instead.  I have tried playing with the diskpart, and image target settings in the task sequence to no avail.  When I open a command window pre task sequence in PE, diskpart shows that the target laptop is the 0 drive and the usb is the 1 drive, but it keeps imaging the external drive.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:52 PM

Answers

• Okay,

Mr. Brooks:  I made the changes via the unattend.xml with the same result.

Massivesystem:

What you say is interesting.  What do you mean by its a No No?  Is it not supported?  Is this in the docs anywhere.  What is the determining factor between the two? Is it size? 

I ask this because I was able to get this to work on a 500GB external hard drive.  I really didn't start having these problems until my company provided new externals that are 1TB in size.  I didn't look at this to be a problem since it was working before and assumed it was some of the other changes I have made to the Task Sequence.

If you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

USB external hard drives sometimes look like a "real" HDD to the system (making identification of target drives difficult).  Put your deployment media onto a USB flash drive (16GB, 32GB) and reimage your computer again and review the results. You don't need to perform the addtional changes to the Unattend.xml as mentioned above. Let me know how the deployment goes using USB flash drive. dont' forget to make your USB flash drive bootbale :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Massivesystem Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lambicmxr Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:49 PM

All replies

• Sounds like your sequence isn't seeing your drive.  I would first check to make sure you have the drivers loaded into MDT for the device you're trying to apply to.  If you're missing storage device drivers, it will only apply to what it can see as drive 0, which would probably be your external at that point.  Let me know if this helps.

Ryan

Monday, February 24, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Okay so I went to the manufacturer's website "HP in this case" and downloaded their Driver Package.  I imported all of the x86 and x64 drivers into my deployment workbench.  Updated the Media content.  Recopied the content Dir to my external and tried to deploy in both x86 and x64 PE.  It still images the USB drive.

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:22 PM
  • So you're copying this over directly from the deployment share to the USB with the media function?  In the task sequence you're using, the format and partition disk is applying to disk #0 correct?

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:20 PM
  • I am not sure what you mean by "media function" , I am updating the media via the MDT workbench.  Once completed I copy the contents of my "c:\media\content" folder to the root of my usb drive.  I am not aware of any built-in automated process for this (if there is one please let me know.

As to the other question, yes I am pointing to disk #0.

I am not sure

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:32 PM
  • http://www.compit.se/?p=230 - this is one example of what I'm talking about.  I would make sure you have your selection profiles configured with the specific sequence you're using, and the drivers required for the device.
    Monday, February 24, 2014 6:45 PM
  • That media process is exactly what I am following.  I went ahead and reconstructed the media from scratch.  Now the task sequence is exhibiting new symptoms.  it looks like it is partitioning the correct hard drive.  It is assigning it letter "V" and giving it the OSDrive label (from the assign task sequence variable I assume) then it is promptly copying all of the image files to the D: drive (my external) and trying to install there.

Any ideas?

Also forgive me if I am incorrect, but if I didn't have the correct drivers loaded in the PE wim, I wouldn't be able to see the drives in diskpart right?  Just wondering.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Yes if you're seeing the drive you're ok as far as drivers - at least for booting.  In your image apply - can you check your install operating system task and set it to "Logical drive letter stored in variable" and name that "OSDisk".  Your drive already looks like its named OSDisk so that's fine.  Make sure it's set to apply to logical partition named what your formatted partition is named.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Ok, I have stepped through the entire process with pauses so I can check the status.  Here is what appears to have happened.

It correctly identified the right drive via task sequence variable and applied the .WIM file.  The OS file system is on the correct drive.  However it seems the boot sector is on the external hard drive.  This is extremely strange.

When I reboot the system without the external attached it says "an operating system wasn't found".  If I attach the external it boots up and finishes the OS install.  When I disconnect the hard drive it runs fine until I reboot, then it says an OS wasn't found again. 

What the heck???!!!!

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:32 PM
  • I just confirmed that if I copy the boot sector files to the c drive of the target laptop it now boots as normal.  So for some reason the task sequence isn't doing this.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Uncheck the option to create extra 'active' partition.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:14 PM
  • It is unchecked.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:18 PM
  • Does your unattend have any partition settings in it?  You can verify this inside of %deployroot%\Control\"your task sequence id"\unattend.xml
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:22 PM
  • So here's what I would suggest.  I would configure diskpart inside of your unattend.xml.  You can find these settings inside of amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Setup_x.x.x.x  in your catalog, under the DiskConfiguration section.  The type should be primary, inside of the modify partitions ensure you set a label, letter, set format to ntfs, and make sure it is setup as active.  You also want to take that admin password you pasted in here off or edit it out :)  Let me know if this helps. 

The command otherwise is "bcdboot c:\windows" to copy and configure boot data for the device.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 6:36 PM
  • roger that rookie mistake.  good thing this is test lab crap.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Ok, I have stepped through the entire process with pauses so I can check the status.  Here is what appears to have happened.

It correctly identified the right drive via task sequence variable and applied the .WIM file.  The OS file system is on the correct drive.  However it seems the boot sector is on the external hard drive.  This is extremely strange.

When I reboot the system without the external attached it says "an operating system wasn't found".  If I attach the external it boots up and finishes the OS install.  When I disconnect the hard drive it runs fine until I reboot, then it says an OS wasn't found again. 

What the heck???!!!!

Any Ideas?

Lambicmxr what type of USB are you using to deploy the image? a USB thumb drive or a USB external hard drive? Using a USB external Hard drive is a No No....
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:01 AM
  • Lambicmxr what type of USB are you using to deploy the image? a USB thumb drive or a USB external hard drive? Using a USB external Hard drive is a No No....
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:01 AM
  • Okay,

Massivesystem:

What you say is interesting.  What do you mean by its a No No?  Is it not supported?  Is this in the docs anywhere.  What is the determining factor between the two? Is it size? 

I ask this because I was able to get this to work on a 500GB external hard drive.  I really didn't start having these problems until my company provided new externals that are 1TB in size.  I didn't look at this to be a problem since it was working before and assumed it was some of the other changes I have made to the Task Sequence.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Okay,

Massivesystem:

USB external hard drives sometimes look like a "real" HDD to the system (making identification of target drives difficult).  Put your deployment media onto a USB flash drive (16GB, 32GB) and reimage your computer again and review the results. You don't need to perform the addtional changes to the Unattend.xml as mentioned above. Let me know how the deployment goes using USB flash drive. dont' forget to make your USB flash drive bootbale :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Massivesystem Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lambicmxr Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Okay, I went ahead and put the deployment on a thumb drive.  This fixed the issue.  Is there more literature on this anywhere?  Why is one drive designated as a real HDD and one not?  It turns out that actually both of the drives were Seagate 1 TB drives, one was a generational iteration of the other.  The newer one didn't work and the old one did.  Strange, Thank you both for the help.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 2:58 PM