Clients fail site assignment RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a Configuration Manager 2012 site, on Server 2012 with SQL 2012.  SCCM is running SP1 with CU2.  Our production site is still 2007, we are getting the 2012 site prepared for the eventual move over.  We have the 2007 site publishing site information to Active Directory, while the 2012 site is publishing to DNS.  When we install a client, it gets the site assignment correctly from DNS, but when it talks to the Management Point it fails.  The logs seem to indicate that the site is not in the MPLIST and therefore should not be used.  So essentially, the client is installed but not connected to any site.  Below is a snippet from the LocationServices log:

- Retrieved lookup MP(s) from DNS

- Attempting to retrieve site information from lookup MP(s) via HTTP

- Raising event (#1 of 1):

Instance of CCM_CcmHttp_Status

{

DateTime = "20130722190728.296000+000";

HostName = "FQDN.HERE";

HRESULT = "0x00000000";

ProcessID = 3388;

StatusCode = 0;

ThreadID = 1844;

};

For some odd reason, 2 clients installed ok but all clients since then have not.  The two that did work initially did not until I installed the CU2 update.  When we deploy the client now we are chaining in the CU2 patch, which installs successfully.  On a healthy client, I notice that after the  “Attempting to retrieve…” message, it grabs the site name.

The site boundary is an IP range, and the client is in it (and in the SCCM console, shows that it should have the correct site name).  Any thoughts as to what else I could be looking at here?

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:24 PM

All replies

• Nothing wrong with having both 2007 and 2012 publish to AD.  I do it all the time with my clients.  Make sure to delegate control of the System Management container to both servers a make sure to turn auto site assignment off in 2012 so that you do not have a conflict.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Upload LocationServices.log to Skydrive. That snippet does not contain enough information to find the root cause.
    Is the client assigned to a site according to the control panlet applet?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:13 PM
  • So don't set any site assignment on a boundary group, and it should be OK to publish to AD?
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Yes.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:04 PM