Continual unwanted restarting RRS feed

• Question

• I just built my first computer and installed Windows 7 Home Prem. OEM software.  Ever since I finally got past the "black screen of death" my computer wants to restart itself while downloading or while I'm trying to play games. Since this is a gaming computer this obviously presents a problem.  Can anyone help me?
    • Moved by Ken Warren Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:57 PM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:29 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• Memory test might be useful in this case - you can execute it by clicking Start-Run and execute "mdsched" command.

Also please check, if you have some files in windows\minidump folder. If you find some files, please upload them somewhere and attach a link. Sometimes a reboot is related to bluescreen - when a crash happens a minidump (64KB file) is generated and computer rebooted.

• Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 30, 2010 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:06 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

1.     Change the size of Virtual Memory.

2.     Run the Memory Diagnostic Tool.

3.     Check the hard disk by running: CHKDSK /F.

4.     Update all device drivers, especially the graphic driver.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• They most likely could if you had posted some specs of your system like Mobo/CPU/RAM/PSU/....well you get the idea

Other than that you’ll get the ever present “It’s the Ram” answer

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
    "Menken" wrote in message news:8c657731-2255-40c2-bf87-688655a3467b...
    I just built my first computer and installed Windows 7 Home Prem. OEM software.  Ever since I finally got past the "black screen of death" my computer wants to restart itself while downloading or while I'm trying to play games. Since this is a gaming computer this obviously presents a problem.  Can anyone help me?
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Memory test might be useful in this case - you can execute it by clicking Start-Run and execute "mdsched" command.

Also please check, if you have some files in windows\minidump folder. If you find some files, please upload them somewhere and attach a link. Sometimes a reboot is related to bluescreen - when a crash happens a minidump (64KB file) is generated and computer rebooted.

• Proposed as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 30, 2010 8:48 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

1.     Change the size of Virtual Memory.

2.     Run the Memory Diagnostic Tool.

3.     Check the hard disk by running: CHKDSK /F.

4.     Update all device drivers, especially the graphic driver.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:56 AM