none
Sharepoint databse

Question

• Hi,

I've just started to setup Sharepoint 2016, maybe those are stupid questions, but I still need to ask....

1. If I install sharepoint 2016 in my server, is it means I also need to buy  SQL Server license and install to same server.

2. How do I know hardware requirement ? I've noticed that MS has provided some information as 

Single server role that uses SQL Server
    Pilot or user acceptance test installation of SharePoint Server 2016 running all available services for development environments.
    24 GB RAM
    64-bit, 4 cores
    80 GB for system drive
    100 GB for second drive and additional drives

is it enough for 50 users online upload and download files together ?

3. One content database is one instance ?(like one sharepoint server with one sql database)?

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:15 AM

Answers

• I think, if you are planing to use in on-premises environment licenses will work on the basis of installation instances. It means in how many machines are you going to install the sql server. Same will applicable for SharePoint as well.

This is different in-case in cloud environment.

You can check more details here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-2017-pricing

Thanks,

Siva

• Marked as answer by 扬扬洒洒 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:43 PM
  • SQL Server can be licensed in a few different ways, either by User CAL or via Server Core count (which also varies if you're installing SQL Server on bare metal or via a VM). As SQL Server licensing is one of the more complicated topics, I'd suggest reaching out to your VAR or Microsoft Licensing.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally Single server role uses for the Development prospective.

If you would like to install in SharePoint server 2016 in Single server role then yes you should install SQL server and other pre-requisites before installing SharePoint Server 2016.

Please find below link, you can get more knowledge:

http://sharepoint-tutorial.net/post/2015/08/25/install-sharepoint-2016-software-requirements.aspx

This could help you to know the steps, to install SharePoint server 2016 in Single server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262243(v=office.16).aspx

Thanks,

Siva

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:44 AM
  • Hi Siva,

Thank you so much for your reply, I have one more question.

For Sharepoint work  principle, all of files or documents(word, excel, pdf, etc..) as content, which are save in database right ? Or database only save file name and path?

Thanks

SL

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:59 PM
  • The database contains all of the files, metadata, etc.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 3:20 PM
  • Yes, you are correct. It saves the content and its metadata. Metadata means for example when it was  created, modified , version history etc and so on.

Thanks,

Siva

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Thanks Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:17 PM
  • Hi Siva,

So when we have 100 user licenses for Sharepoint, do we need buy same qty sql server licenses ? Or one sql server license enough ?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:18 PM
  • I think, if you are planing to use in on-premises environment licenses will work on the basis of installation instances. It means in how many machines are you going to install the sql server. Same will applicable for SharePoint as well.

This is different in-case in cloud environment.

You can check more details here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-2017-pricing

Thanks,

Siva

• Marked as answer by 扬扬洒洒 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 3:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

Please mark as answer, if you are clear or got resolved your issue..

Thanks,

Siva

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:47 PM
  • SQL Server can be licensed in a few different ways, either by User CAL or via Server Core count (which also varies if you're installing SQL Server on bare metal or via a VM). As SQL Server licensing is one of the more complicated topics, I'd suggest reaching out to your VAR or Microsoft Licensing.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:35 PM