none
Group Policy Preferences Files size limit

Question

• Hi

I am trying to use GPP to copy some files from a network share to desktops. All the files copy except one which I believe is due to file size, however I can't find any documentation to suggest that there should be a size limit on files that can be copied - does anyone know if this is the case?

For info I am running Server 2008R2, Windows 7 Pro and the file is around 8MB. I get the following error message: Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070040 The specified network name is no longer available

If I use a file splitter and cut the file down to 4MB it copies, any bigger and it fails. Is this by design? Is there a way around it?

Thanks

Karl

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Karl,

>> I get the following error message: Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070040 The specified network name is no longer available

Based on your description, I did a test in my lab to use GPP File extension to copy a more than 8 MB file, and it worked as expected.

Here, where is the network share stored, on the server? Besides, have we installed Symantec Endpoint Protection prior to 11.0.4202 (MR4-MP2) or Symantec Antivirus 10.2 on the server? If the above situation is true, we can refer to the following article to troubleshoot the issue.

Unable to access Shares "The specified network name is no longer available" when Symantec Endpoint Protection prior to 11.0.4202 (MR4-MP2) or Symantec Antivirus 10.2 are installed on a Windows 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2 Server  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961293

In addition, we can also try to log onto the client in clean boot to see if it helps.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Maoxian+(Maoxian)

If the issue persists, we can try to copy another file whose size is above 8 MB to test if the issue is related to the file itself.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:58 AM