SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012 in same domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read a lot of article about SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012, but yet I haven't find out anything to solve my problem. Hope someone can provide some idea to solve this issue.

Scenario: We have 2 domain with different SCCM console manage our client (different country). Until we combine both site into one domain but we are still control our client separately using our own SCCM console (SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012)

Problem: My SCCM 2007 client keep on report back to SCCM 2012 automatic ( MP and sitecode changed)

I have change below setting for both SCCM console

a) Disable AD forest discovery on SCCM 2012, remove my site from SCCM 2012 boundary

b) Uninstall SCCM 2012 client and force my client install with SCCM 2012 agent with MP and sitecode specified

Different between SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007

- SCCM 2012 publish site to active directory and SCCM 2007 none  ( which I not really sure what it used for)

Regards,

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:37 AM

Answers

• When you reassign a Configuration Manager client from one hierarchy to another, the client already has a trusted root key from its original hierarchy. Reassigning the client to a new hierarchy means that the client will also be assigned to a new management point. When both the trusted root key and the management point changes, by default, the client will become unmanaged.

so have to manage the trusted root key......see the below post.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2009/04/09/reassigning-a-configuration-manager-client-across-hierarchies.aspx

Rajds
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:49 PM
  • The schema extensions for CM07 and CM12 are the same so there's no need to extend it more than once.
    Make sure that there are no overlapping boundaries for site assignment, that you are using unique site codes and that there's no GPO or regkey that would re-assign the client.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:54 AM

All replies

• When you reassign a Configuration Manager client from one hierarchy to another, the client already has a trusted root key from its original hierarchy. Reassigning the client to a new hierarchy means that the client will also be assigned to a new management point. When both the trusted root key and the management point changes, by default, the client will become unmanaged.

so have to manage the trusted root key......see the below post.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2009/04/09/reassigning-a-configuration-manager-client-across-hierarchies.aspx

Rajds
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hi Rajds,

How about the extend schema for configuration manager? Do you think I need to extend for my SCCM 2007 as well ?

Regards,

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:42 AM
  • The schema extensions for CM07 and CM12 are the same so there's no need to extend it more than once.
    Make sure that there are no overlapping boundaries for site assignment, that you are using unique site codes and that there's no GPO or regkey that would re-assign the client.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

I thought installation with the trustedrootkey was working fine on my test machine but now it is back to SCCM 2012 again. Before that I have checked my trustedrootkey properties, I saw the key but I didn't see the MP and also the site code there, do I need to specify it?

Also for publishing site, only SCCM 2012 create the publishing site in AD and apply to whole domain , do I need to specify one to publish to my site?

Is there anything that will auto discover my client and install SCCM 2012 agent without any boundary for my site? My test client show its agent name as SMS_AD_Security_Group_discovery_agent, MP_ClientRegistration, and heartbeat discovery.

Friday, November 29, 2013 11:27 AM