none
Mail relay for password expiration notices

Question

• How do you point Active Directory to a mail relay server for the purpose of sending out upcoming password expiration notices? There is no Exchange server in the environment - we use a Linux based postfix mail relay to forward mail from this environment to an upstream Exchange server. The postfix mail relay is working fine for all other system notification emails, but this AD environment has been recently rebuilt and the AD mail relay configuration in the previous environment is gone. 

Thanks in advance,

PG

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:44 PM

Answers

• > How do you point Active Directory to a mail relay server

You don't. AD has no integrated possibility of sending mails for whatever purpose. So you need to write (or download - others had the same challenge :-)) some sort of script and run it in a schedule.

• Marked as answer by PaulGreene Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:58 PM

All replies

• > How do you point Active Directory to a mail relay server

You don't. AD has no integrated possibility of sending mails for whatever purpose. So you need to write (or download - others had the same challenge :-)) some sort of script and run it in a schedule.

• Marked as answer by PaulGreene Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Ok, I was thinking I just needed to add an IP address in some obscure registry setting somewhere. I found my predecessors folder full of script files, and think I found the one he was using before. Hopefully that'll work.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:46 PM