none
Mix Windows Server 2016 and 2008 domain controllers

Question

• Hi Guys

I have a parent-child domain topology using Windows Server 2008 SP2 domain controllers. I would like to introduce new Windows 2016 domain controllers at the root level and decommission the Windows Server 2008 root domain controllers. Thereby leaving the root level on Windows Server 2016 and the child domains on Windows Server 2008. I intend to upgrade the child domains at a later date.

Are there any issues with this????

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a parent-child domain topology using Windows Server 2008 SP2 domain controllers. I would like to introduce new Windows 2016 domain controllers at the root level and decommission the Windows Server 2008 root domain controllers. Thereby leaving the root level on Windows Server 2016 and the child domains on Windows Server 2008. I intend to upgrade the child domains at a later date.

Are there any issues with this????

>>>To achieve this, first, join the Windows Server 2016 to domain, and promote Windows Server 2016 to domain controller. If there are FSMO roles on domain controller Windows Server 2008, you need transfer those FSMO roles to domain controller Windows Server 2016. Then demoting the Windows Server 2008. You could promote the domain function level and forest function level after there is no Windows Server 2008 domain controller in your environment.

For information about transfer FSMO roles, please refer to the article below.

Transferring FSMO Roles in Windows Server 2008

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/832.transferring-fsmo-roles-in-windows-server-2008.aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by krishnaaindia Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:37 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:36 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

If the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:29 PM
  • windows 2016 domain controller promotion automatically does the adprep task, so be careful with that and make sure you have systemstate backups in case of a forest recovery required.

Also note that exchange certain versions can also get impacted with the schema change. So if you have exchange in your environment, make sure to get them involved and understand the chance of impact.

And no, there are no issues with your process as described.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Any updates?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:48 PM