none
Error mapping admin share by IP - System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. DNS name works? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

All servers are 2012 R2.

I have a server which has the following name/IP:

Server1 192.168.0.1/24 G/W 192.168.0.254

I have an application which deploys to another server (Server2) using \\<server IP>\admin$

E.g: \\192.168.0.2\admin$

Server name is Server2.

The application is failing to install, saying network path not found.

If I try and do net use \\192.168.0.2\admin$ I get error 53 as per title.

If I try \\Server2\admin$ it works.

I can do an nslookup both ways, I can ping both ways via name and IP. Traceroute goes via the L3 switches as you'd expect if it's on another subnet.

It does this with servers on the same subnet, and on others. I've tried turning the firewall off, no change.

The server which cannot map via IP address was previously working, it was then put in an OU with Microsoft baseline, the application didn't work so I put it back into staging to troubleshoot. Since then it exhibits this symptom.

If I build a brand new server, even without joining it to the domain, the mapping works (asks for creds).

IPv6 is disabled across the whole domain.

Any ideas please? Rebuilding is a last resort as the application is a complete pig.

​ c:\users\chris>net use \\server2\admin$ Local name Remote name \\server2\admin$ Resource type Disk Status OK # Opens 0 # Connections 1

c:\users\chris>net use \\192.168.0.2\admin$ System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. c:\users\chris>nslookup 192.168.0.2 Server: dc1.fqdn Address 192.168.0.253 Name: server2.fqdn Address 192.168.0.2 c:\users\chris>ping -a 192.168.0.2 Pinging server2.fqdn [192.168.0.2] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes: 32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes: 32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes: 32 time<1ms TTL=127 Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes: 32 time<1ms TTL=127

• Edited by ChrisFD2 Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:00 AM

Answers

• I thought I would update this in case someone has the same issues as I had.

It was caused by the following group policy setting:

Network Security: Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers

This policy was set to deny all in our environment. Changing it to audit has allowed the UNC paths to be browsed again.

I'm unsure why this policy 'stuck' after it was removed from the server, either way, my issue is solved.

• Marked as answer by ChrisFD2 Friday, January 6, 2017 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Please check these two services:

File and Printer Sharing

lanmanserver & browser 

Make sure they're running,if they all ready running,please try to restart them.

2.You could try to reset the TCP/IP stack,check this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:43 AM
  • Thanks, both services running/enabled in network sharing.

Tried to reset the TCP stack.

Problem still persists.

• Edited by ChrisFD2 Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:35 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

Did you disable the Netibios over TCP/IP?If you did,please enable it and test again.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 5:57 AM
  • It is set as default, I have tried with enabled and disabled, same result.

I'm not sure what NetBIOS has to do with this, it's a full 2012 R2 domain with no legacy servers/software installed.

Friday, November 25, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

I can't reproduce this error in our lab,there is something may be related:

-Check in safe mode with networking

-Check by disabling all the security software.

Best Regards,
    Cartman

Monday, November 28, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Tried the above two, same errors.

I have opened a PSS call for this issue.

• Edited by ChrisFD2 Monday, November 28, 2016 1:16 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

All right.Please update after you find out the cause for other user who encounter the same issue,thank you.

Best Regards,
    Cartman

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:10 AM
  • In the end I decided to rebuild the server, I never fixed the original issue.
    • Marked as answer by ChrisFD2 Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ChrisFD2 Friday, January 6, 2017 9:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:32 AM
  • I thought I would update this in case someone has the same issues as I had.

It was caused by the following group policy setting:

Network Security: Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers

This policy was set to deny all in our environment. Changing it to audit has allowed the UNC paths to be browsed again.

I'm unsure why this policy 'stuck' after it was removed from the server, either way, my issue is solved.

• Marked as answer by ChrisFD2 Friday, January 6, 2017 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 9:13 AM