Windows 7 Startup Sound(s) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Windows 7 Development Team(s)...

What was the reasoning behind preventing changes to W7 startup sounds? I don't get it, you'll let me turn it off but I can't change it. Why did the reason(s) come about since XP? W7 goes to great lengths to allow personalization of the desktop. How is that different than sounds? Thank you.
    Bob Helms
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:38 AM

Answers

• I think they came up with this decision because Microsoft wants people to identify Windows 7 by its startup sound. It is some sort of brand management: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_management

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 18, 2010 3:02 AM
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi BobHelms,

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not support changing the startup sound. For more information, please refer to this thread: Change Windows 7 Startup Sound.

If you insist changing the system sound, please notice that changing the system file may cause unexpected issues.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• I think they came up with this decision because Microsoft wants people to identify Windows 7 by its startup sound. It is some sort of brand management: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_management

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi BobHelms,

Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not support changing the startup sound. For more information, please refer to this thread: Change Windows 7 Startup Sound.

If you insist changing the system sound, please notice that changing the system file may cause unexpected issues.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Yes, by all means you can change windows 7 startup sounds.  Go to control panel>personalization>sounds @ the bottom of the window>@ the sound scheme drop down menu click on the sound you would like to change to >apply>ok.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:41 PM