none
MDT 8450 / ADK 1709 task sequence stops after reboot and autologin

Question

• Hello everybody,

we have some problems with our deployment. The problems started when we upgraded the MDT to 8450 / ADK 1709. We installed a vm with 1709 and we customized it. After that we captured the image and added a task sequence to our deployment. While testing, we noticed that the task sequence stops right after rebooting the system (installation of operating system was successful). The system does the autologin (or i think it does; we had no password set) and stops continuing. There is no summary or anything else in the processes. When I try to launch the LiteTouch.vbs  from the computer the task sequence starts and finishes the deployment successfully. We checked the other task sequences with earlier versions and they still work like expected. There are no error logs on the machine or on the deployment server which could be realted to our problem.

We already tried to change the registry keys „FilterAdministratorToken“ and „EnableLUA“. Further we tried to create a new task sequence (we copied it before and changed the settings).

There is a second administrator account on the machine, while the administrator is disabled. I also tried to  change the unattend.xml to login with the second administrator account, with no success.

Later I thought that it might be a problem with the custom image, so we installed another vm and captured it (at this time without a second administrator). The deployment process still stops after reboot and autologin.

for the sake of completeness, here are the logs from the computer: https://www.file-upload.net/download-13113110/smsts.log.html

Any suggestions?

thank you in advance.

Friday, May 4, 2018 1:47 PM

Answers

• The task sequence runs now till the end... we disabled the sysprep step and just captured an image because we had multiple errors and we read that you can disable it without problems... I activated the sysprep again and fixed the errors (was a built-in app from windows 10) and captured it again. now it works!
    • Marked as answer by M. Roth Monday, May 7, 2018 2:48 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 2:48 PM

All replies

• Here are the full log Folders: https://www.file-upload.net/download-13113162/SMSOSD.zip.html
    Friday, May 4, 2018 1:55 PM
  • I am in the exact same situation.

Have you checked the Panther logs in the Sysprep folder of the imaged computer?

Friday, May 4, 2018 2:07 PM
  • No, unfortunately not. I just checked them and there are two error entrys:

SYSPRP setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0 

and

SYSPRP ClipCleanUpState resetting WNF_OLIC_OS_LICENSE_TERMS_ACCEPTED failed with NTSTATUS=c0000022

But it seems like they are not related to my problem because the capture process went good. 

Monday, May 7, 2018 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

i also have a vm, MDT 8450 and ADK 1709 like you.

I have no problems. You can reinstall ADK and update the Deploymentshare (recreate your LiteTouchPE_x.wim) and replace your WDS wim files

Toni

Monday, May 7, 2018 10:45 AM
  • I will try a repair of the ADK 1709. Then I will restart the server and update the deployment share & recreate the boot images.

the strange is just that the other task sequences work properly but only the 1709 is making problems and there is only one ADK (1709) which handles both right?

EDIT: I just realised that when the os is installed and the autologin is done there is the LiteTouch.vbs in the recently used files (in the explorer quicklaunch) but when I try to click on it it says it couldn't load the script because the username/password is wrong?? After connecting to the share and entering the credentials i can start it again. Maybe this causes my problem?

• Edited by M. Roth Monday, May 7, 2018 11:58 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 11:00 AM
  • Still doesn't work :( 
    Monday, May 7, 2018 11:26 AM
  • The task sequence runs now till the end... we disabled the sysprep step and just captured an image because we had multiple errors and we read that you can disable it without problems... I activated the sysprep again and fixed the errors (was a built-in app from windows 10) and captured it again. now it works!
    • Marked as answer by M. Roth Monday, May 7, 2018 2:48 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Would you please share how you identified the native app issue and how you fixed it?

I have the same problem with my custom image but I cant find which app causes that.

Monday, May 7, 2018 2:57 PM
  • We have run into this issue as well, but so far only on specific make/models.  I cannot duplicate in VirtualBox or HyperV.  Our issue turned out to be related to the image saved in WDS for PEXE booting.  We thought we just needed to bounce the service, but you have to update the image in WDS.  Now, why on earth a specific laptop would behave as you describe but others do not is a mystery to me.

I also have seen the issue when putting a password on the task sequence when building the reference build.  Even if I removed the password within the build, the issue happened.  I moved to a NAT network connection so I can leave off a password and everything just worked.
    • Edited by Eddie78701 Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:29 PM Additional info
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 2:09 PM