How do the contacts in Outlook 2016 translate over to Outlook for mobile? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has numerous contacts in their desktop Outlook client.  They also have folders in their contacts which contain contacts. 

When I log into their webmail in Exchange Online, we can see the same appear there.  The interesting piece with this is in OWA, her contacts appear in both the folders and the top level where as in Outlook, they are separated.

When we look on their mobile device in Outlook, those contacts haven't transferred over.  The only way we can see the contacts in her mobile Outlook is if we copy/paste them out of the folder to the top level of her contacts.

Do we have to copy all of her contacts to the root level?  Can the contact folders she created show up in Outlook mobile?

Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:06 PM

Answers

• Hi David ,

Thanks for visiting our forum, here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client.

>> The only way we can see the contacts in her mobile Outlook is if we copy/paste them out of the folder to the top level of her contacts.
    According to your description, it seems that you are using Exchange account and you could only see the contacts in your root folder and cannot see the contacts in other folders in Outlook for mobile, right?

If this is your case, I'm afraid that this might be normal and it is by design. I did some research and found that there are some other users who have the same issue as you. For your reference: Outlook desktop People "Contacts" is only folder showing up in Outlook for iOS.

If you would still like the feature, it is suggested for you to vote via Outlook UserVoice:Contacts folders in Outlook for iOS or Syncing Outlook contacts subfolders with my Android phone.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2020 2:08 AM