none
Secondary backup + Dedupe issue RRS feed

• Question

• This one is going to be slightly hard to explain but......

We have a backup of a file server that has about 13TB of data that is deduped down to less then 4TB. On the primary DPM box all is functioning great. The secondary DPM box however takes FOREVER to backup the first. Occasionally it does finish but i am talking days and days to do a synchronization. I would expect those kinds of times on a consistency check but not a sync. 

Thoughts?

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:45 PM

All replies

• Every time Sync is taking huge time or only first time it took days and then its working good?

Regards Mohammed Khalid Kherani [MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights. [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:18 PM
  • It takes a long time every time. Syncs for every other box are fast. But the sync for the 13tb deduped data is taking days every time.

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:23 PM

• Edited by JustusIV Monday, March 25, 2013 6:54 PM more info
    Monday, March 25, 2013 6:52 PM
  • The server in question has about 4TB of data that is deduped on it.

at best it has about 12TB of data when not deduped.

What the heck is going on.

Like i said this is the secondary box backing up the primary that appears to be working fine.

Monday, March 25, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Justus,

You will get full functionality of Dedup protection in primary DPM and as of now we don't support Secondary backup of Dedup data. We will take it as feedback for next release and will make sure the issue is document properly.

Regards Mohammed Khalid Kherani [MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights. [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Hi JustusIV

It looks like it is dehydrating the files before syncing it to your secondary... Probably it is but is the dedup role enabled on the secondary server?

If yes, I really suggest that you contact support because this looks very bad :-(

Just my 2 cents

Mike

#1 Hyper-V Backup – award-winning solution from Veeam Download free

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Wow, this is a downer :-( Please add me to the list of customers requesting this to be implemented asap. Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:37 AM
  • dedup is enable on both.

I though this was support :)

who else do i turn to.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hi JustusIV,

Nope, this is not support.  The forums are maintained by community members and some Microsoft people but are not "official" help channels.

I'm not completely sure where you can contact support because it depends on your region.  You can find more information here: http://support.microsoft.com/find-solutions/more/

It would be cool if you can post the answer in your thread after it has been handled by the support teams.

Hope it helps

Mike

#1 Hyper-V Backup – award-winning solution from Veeam Download free

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:24 PM
  • unfortunately we are scrapping the secondary server and doing a custom in house backup solution for a secondary.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:05 PM