Advice on structuring the Default Global Address List. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm at the point with our Exchange 2010 deployment where I'm waiting to migrate our 2,000 or so mailboxes, and while I wait I'm tailoring the look and feel of various elements, such as the GAL.

By default, Outlook defaults to viewing the view rendered by the Default Global Address List definition, which really isn't a very tidy view of the organisation. I've created additional views based on which Exchange refers to as the Office attribute (physicalDeliveryOfficeName) and they work as expected, but what I'm curious about now is the value of defining a query for the Default Global Address List that renders no results, as I do not want all 2,000 users showing up as an unwieldly single list.

As a secondary consideration, I'll likely have to enable around 17,000 student records as contacts, which only further reinforces my desire to not use a flat list.

I'm wondering a few things at this point in time:

1. Is it wise to configure the GAL to return no records?
    2. Is there a better way of doing this other than changing the RecipientFilter value?
    3. Is there a server-side method for configuring the default address list? I'm not overly keen on needing a separate group policy object for each address list, and it'd be nice to also have OWA default to the appropriate GAL for a given user.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Moved by emma.yoyo Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:06 AM Exchange 2010 query (From:Admin)
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:35 AM

Answers

• I've worked with organizations with 50 to 150 times the number of recipients, and none of them did what you're trying to do.  Anybody using the GAL types in the first couple letters of the name and they get what they want pretty much right away.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Go ahead and create some other address lists if you want, but seriously consider leaving the GAL alone.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "Lain Robertson" wrote in message news:8c76c984-73e7-4661-a03c-7be6db09da1a...

Hi all,

I'm at the point with our Exchange 2010 deployment where I'm waiting to migrate our 2,000 or so mailboxes, and while I wait I'm tailoring the look and feel of various elements, such as the GAL.

By default, Outlook defaults to viewing the view rendered by the Default Global Address List definition, which really isn't a very tidy view of the organisation. I've created additional views based on which Exchange refers to as the Office attribute (physicalDeliveryOfficeName) and they work as expected, but what I'm curious about now is the value of defining a query for the Default Global Address List that renders no results, as I do not want all 2,000 users showing up as an unwieldly single list.

As a secondary consideration, I'll likely have to enable around 17,000 student records as contacts, which only further reinforces my desire to not use a flat list.

2. Is there a better way of doing this other than changing the RecipientFilter value?
    3. Is there a server-side method for configuring the default address list? I'm not overly keen on needing a separate group policy object for each address list, and it'd be nice to also have OWA default to the appropriate GAL for a given user.

Cheers,
    Lain

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, June 7, 2010 3:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, June 8, 2010 1:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

I also suggest you leave the GAL alone, and create several Address Lists to segment recpients.

Leave the GAL by default, thus it make sure you can search each recipients in your organization.

But if you really don't like you GAL and want appropriate GAL for a given user, you can refer to this document.

Address Lists in Exchange 2007 (Part 1)

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/address-lists-exchange-2007-part1.html

Frank Wang
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:26 AM

All replies

• I've worked with organizations with 50 to 150 times the number of recipients, and none of them did what you're trying to do.  Anybody using the GAL types in the first couple letters of the name and they get what they want pretty much right away.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Go ahead and create some other address lists if you want, but seriously consider leaving the GAL alone.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "Lain Robertson" wrote in message news:8c76c984-73e7-4661-a03c-7be6db09da1a...

Hi all,

Cheers,
    Lain

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

I also suggest you leave the GAL alone, and create several Address Lists to segment recpients.

Leave the GAL by default, thus it make sure you can search each recipients in your organization.

But if you really don't like you GAL and want appropriate GAL for a given user, you can refer to this document.

Address Lists in Exchange 2007 (Part 1)

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/management-administration/address-lists-exchange-2007-part1.html

Frank Wang
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:26 AM