none
Setting Task by End Date RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a set of tasks all linked to each other and a due date for each task. I would like to see when the task will need to start to finish by the final date. However, every time I input the deadline date, my task sets to manually scheduled. Is there a way to input a final date and have the rest of the linked tasks update automatically? 

Currently the info I have is a start date and task and subtask duration. 

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:19 PM

All replies

• Imalabet,

What exactly do you mean, "due date for each task"? Are you attempting to set a deadline for each task?

Entering a date into the Deadline field should not have any impact on the Task Mode (i.e. auto or manual). Are you inputting to the Deadline field or using some other method to input your deadline date?

Project does support reverse scheduling, (i.e. schedule from the Project finish date), but generally that creates more confusion than anything. You say you have a start date. I suggest you forward schedule the plan with all tasks auto-scheduled and linked in a logical sequence. Given the estimated duration of each task, does that give you the desired end date? If not, adjust your plan (i.e. start earlier, add more resources, etc.) to achieve the final date.

By the way, what version of Project are you using and is it updated with the latest cumulative update?

John

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:15 PM
  • Ignore the "due date for each task". Schedule forwards from the start date. Then you will be on track towards using the critical path method. If you don't know a start date, then assume one that is plausible. You have tasks and durations. All you need in addition to that is the predecessor/successor relationships between the tasks. Put 'em in.

Work out how long it takes overall, and what the earliest and latest start and finish dates are for each task as well as the free slack and total slack. MSP does this for you.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:04 AM