Check path of normal.dotm in Word 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We use folder redirection and the users "Application Data" is redirected to a network share. This working fine for most of our users but a few of them are experiencing problems with AutoText.

How can I check where the current Word is loading it's normal.dotm template from through Visual Basic?

If I check the users redirected "Application Data", I can't find normal.dotm and it isn't located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office...\"

/Lasse
    Friday, June 18, 2010 11:56 AM

Answers

• Dim sPath As String
    sPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdUserTemplatesPath)
    MsgBox sPath

<LasseF> wrote in message news:8c7d41bd-7a20-4d93-bcbe-ad9ecdfafbd2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

We use folder redirection and the users "Application Data" is redirected to a network share. This working fine for most of our users but a few of them are experiencing problems with AutoText.

How can I check where the current Word is loading it's normal.dotm template from through Visual Basic?

If I check the users redirected "Application Data", I can't find normal.dotm and it isn't located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office...\"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /Lasse

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    • Marked as answer by LasseF Monday, June 21, 2010 6:00 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:30 PM

All replies

• Dim sPath As String
    sPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdUserTemplatesPath)
    MsgBox sPath

<LasseF> wrote in message news:8c7d41bd-7a20-4d93-bcbe-ad9ecdfafbd2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /Lasse

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    • Marked as answer by LasseF Monday, June 21, 2010 6:00 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Hi Graham

Thanks for the reply.

After writing in here I actually found a solution to my "problem":
    MsgBox Application.NormalTemplate.FullName

/Lasse
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:04 AM
  • The method I suggested gives the location that the normal template is loaded from - i.e. the user templates folder - which is what you requested.
    There is more than one way to approach this, but if you want to use the alternative you have suggested then the location the template is loaded from would be disclosed by:
    MsgBox Application.NormalTemplate.Path

<LasseF> wrote in message news:efe2d5f5-5247-4ece-89c1-d123bec877ef@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Graham

Thanks for the reply.

After writing in here I actually found a solution to my "problem":
    MsgBox Application.NormalTemplate.FullName

/Lasse

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Hi Graham

Thanks again!

We use roaming profiles and folder redirection in our setup. Application Data is redirected to:
    \\Server01\Redirection\%Username%\Application Data

This means that the normal Word Start folder is located here:
    \\Server01\Redirection\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Start

But the User Templates Folder is located on one of our network drives:
    H:\User\%Username%\Microsoft\Templates

My problem is that Word is only reading template files located in the "..\Templates" folder and not in the Start folder as normal. I have tried deleting Normal.dotm so that Word re-creates it, which is does, but it re-creates the file in "..\Templates".

This is why I wanted to check the location of the Normal.dotm template.

Have you seen this problem before?

/Lasse
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Word stores the normal template in the User Templates folder - which appears to be  H:\User\%Username%\Microsoft\Templates
    and Word appears to correctly save the template to that location. If you want it to load from another location, then you will have to change the registry entry to reflect that new location
    at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\General\UserTemplates
    the startup folder is where you would store add-in templates and the location of that is defined at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\General\Startup

<LasseF> wrote in message news:5495a07a-2f46-4f4e-a2fb-1461aa0bd842@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Graham

Thanks again!

We use roaming profiles and folder redirection in our setup. Application Data is redirected to:
    \\Server01\Redirection\%Username%\Application Data

This means that the normal Word Start folder is located here:
    \\Server01\Redirection\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Start

But the User Templates Folder is located on one of our network drives:
    H:\User\%Username%\Microsoft\Templates

My problem is that Word is only reading template files located in the "..\Templates" folder and not in the Start folder as normal. I have tried deleting Normal.dotm so that Word re-creates it, which is does, but it re-creates the file in "..\Templates".

This is why I wanted to check the location of the Normal.dotm template.

Have you seen this problem before?

/Lasse

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:17 PM