Can SCOM able to Monitor CPU,RAM Utilization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have around 4000 windows XP/Win 7 systems in ournetwork. we are trying to monitor the performance of the these systems using SCOM.

Is it possible to monitor and get the historical performace data of windows systems using SCOM. we are considering performance data as below

1) CPU utilization

2) Memory Utilization

3) Disk I/O utilization

we would like monitor these parameters and generate Historical Report.

Can some one help if this can be achieved by using SCOM. If not does microsoft has any other tools for this Purpose ?

Waiting for your Help

Regards,

Sivaramakrishna

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a Client MP, check the .doc file here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15700

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sivaram007 Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is a Client MP, check the .doc file here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15700

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sivaram007 Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:27 PM
  • yes, use the client monitoring mp. if it does not contain the performance counters you would like to collect you can create them as performance collection rules yourself. Not that difficult and the examples are in the windows base-os management packs anyway. And from there you can of course create reports afterwards on these. Because of your numbers.. only turn on the counters you want to collect! otherwise there will be a lot of data coming in as I think you can estimate already :-) Make sure your scom infra can handle the additional 4000 boxes.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Note:  The client Mp is not designed to be used to monitor every client in an enterprise.  It is designed for what I'll call the executive PC case.  Some customers do push agents to all clients and use this pack however, so there is no technical reason other than needing to push agents and load on our production OM databases (you will need a LOT of space if you do this since it needs room for the additinal data collected.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all your Responses. one small doubt. using this management pack can i poll utilization information for every 10 minutes and store it in database.

If yes, can you help me with the configuration guides.

Regards,

Sivaramakrishna

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Just download the MP and read the guide.  You can change the intervals to anything you want.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:05 PM