none
MDT OEM pre staging setup question/error RRS feed

• Question

• See below error...

Do you have any items for me to start with troubleshooting? 

Made selection profile, setup media, did the OEM prestage task and dumped it to the drive... and on boot I start up the machine and it can't find the deploy folder... it is there on the disk I can see it in command prompt.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:48 PM

All replies

• Your answer is in the picture. Look at the format, it should be \\SERVER\Share and not a drive letter like X:\Deploy

Oops, sorry I glanced over the media part

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:10 PM
  • Where are you seeing the staged deployment share, on the x: drive or another drive letter?  can you post your bdd.log somewhere, so I can take a look?  Thanks.

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:28 PM
  • It is on the staged machine in X:\Deploy after running the OEM pre-stage sequence.

However I thinkthis is where the problem is, as there is only two folders in there. Tools and Scripts... should not my entire deploy share be in there?

Can't find bdd.log

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:53 PM
  • So you created your selection profile with the apps, drivers, etcetera that you want on the media. You then created "New media" and used the selection profile you created. Then you ran "Update Media Content" to create the ISO. When you boot to that you get the above?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:01 PM
  • You need to select all the folders you want included. It could get really big if you have lots of apps and drivers.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:04 PM
  • yep its 67gigas

is it maybe the deployment type task variables?

dave

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:20 PM
  • Here is BDD.log

http://1drv.ms/1duvv08

Is it bad bootstrap.ini?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:44 PM
  • X:\ is the scratch drive root.  Your deploy root from that BDD you posted was D:\Deploy.  I'm guessing when you change that path above to your hard drive path, it functions as expected.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:12 AM
  • Okay yes you were correct. When I connect the MDT Media USB drive to the Staged PC it will start a deployment.

What step am I missing to have the entire share staged onto the PC for use use with out connecting to the USB drive?

Cheers,

dave

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:04 PM
  • Are you trying to deploy it from the device itself on boot or over Ethernet? 
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:12 PM
  • This is from the help file in MDT:

Note   Select the Litetouch OEM task sequence only when performing deployments using removable media–based deployments you create in the Media node in the Deployment Workbench. Although you can select the Litetouch OEM Task Sequence template from other deployment shares, the task sequence will not finish successfully.

Curious, but what exactly are you trying to do with the OEM sequence? Are you building an image to send to an OEM or are you just trying to make your own deployable image?

Anyway for help with this type of task sequence open up the help search for "Staged Deployments Using LTI", you'll want to look at the related topics; LTI OEM Preload Process - Phase 1, 2, 3

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:20 PM
  • I want everything contained on device. I thought that was the point of OEM prestaged?

Dave

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:20 PM
  • I didn't see the topic sorry, just the error :)  For it to work from the device, the drive needs to be formatted properly and set to active.  Then take your media ISO, extract the files, and copy them to empty drive in the same structure as in the ISO onto the device.  Then finally - reboot the device to start the deployment.
    • Edited by MrBrooks Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:37 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Hey Dan,

Yes this is the process I followed from the MDT documentation.

LTI OEM Preload Process - Phase 1, 2, 3

After Phase 3, instead of taking an image of the drive I wanted to start it to test.

As in my initial post, I see that window unless I connected the USB drive. 

It appears as the OEM sequence did not copy the DS stuff to the drive. I see it listed in the sequence and it looks like it completes in Phase 3.

dave

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Well earlier you mentioned your DS is 67GB. When you created the deployment media, was it that large? If not, double check your selection profile to make sure you selected everything you need to be included. If you have to make changes, don't forget to update the deployment media so it'll create a new ISO with what was added. What you are trying to do is meant for delivering an image to an OEM or if you want your users to setup the computer on their own, similar to what you would expect from a new computer preconfigured by Dell, HP, etc.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:03 PM
  • I've never had to automate the deployment of the media, but the principle is the same.  In this case it looks like LTIOEM handles the copy process.  LTIOEM.wsf looks like it's running this to copy media -

sCmd = "robocopy.exe /E /A-:R /NP /LOG+:" & oLogging.LogPath & "\ltioem.txt "& left(oEnvironment.Item("DeployDrive"),2) & "\Deploy " & left(LTIOEM_TARGET,2) & "\Deploy"

Which means the default stage path I believe would be Deployroot\Deploy, meaning make sure your deploy folder is populated with the same Deploy folder you find on your media. 

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Dan:

Yes this is what I am doing.

The Media I create is 67GB iso, I burn to usb drive with iso-to-usb. 

It has selection profile with driver for the machine it is targeted to, OS, Apps and TS's associated with the process.

I update media multiple times, at least every time I make a change during trouble shooting, and then dump to the iso to usb (or for quick testing I use VM and mount)

Then I insert the USB drive or Mount ISO and boot from it, and run the OEM staging TS. It says success, click okay to shut the machine down or it will shut down uatomatically in 20 minutes .

I assumed this TS dumped the DS to the drive.

I then disconnect usb drive and to on to simulate the delivery of a new machine and on first boot I get that screen above. Examining the drive I see none of my deployment share on the drive.

Am I not understanding the purpose of the OEM staging?

If i put the usb drive in it will connect to the share on the drive... that is useless.

I must be setting something in the wrong manner.

dave

Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:23 PM
  • So that you aren't wasting your time, is your intent to stage out your computers like an OEM would? If you want to do traditional deployments with MDT (i.e. over the network), then this isn't the process you should be using. With OEM staging, once you have an image made and working you would need to clone all hard drives as mentioned in Phase 2.

MrBrooks is right, if you look at the LTIOEM script it's very simple and just copies what's on the media drive to the hard drive of the computer.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    '
    ' Copy the contents of the Media Disk to the Target Drive
    '

oLogging.ReportProgress "Copying contents of DVD to hard disk. May take a while...",10
    sCmd = "robocopy.exe /E /A-:R /NP /LOG+:" & oLogging.LogPath & "\ltioem.txt "& left(oEnvironment.Item("DeployDrive"),2) & "\Deploy " & left(LTIOEM_TARGET,2) & "\Deploy"
    iRoboResult = oUtility.RunWithHeartbeat ( sCmd )
    I personally don't use this method because pre-staging a bunch of computers always leads to a bunch of machines that are out of date when they are deployed.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:44 PM more comments
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Not sure if the topic of this thread is unclear... but yes I'm running and OEM staging process.

MrBrooks is correct... and thats what I'm asking... my process is not doing that and therefor I must be doing something incorrect and I'm looking for ideas on what to check. I'm not getting any reported errors...

Thanks

Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:08 PM
  • Maybe this is why, this was in your log.

DestinationDisk and Partition did not yield a target Partition. LTIOEM 4/29/2015 11:32:04 AM 0 (0x0000)

About to run command: robocopy.exe /E /A-:R /NP /LOG+:D:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\ltioem.txt D:\Deploy D:\Deploy LTIOEM 4/29/2015 11:32:04 AM 0 (0x0000)

Run Command: X:\windows\SYSTEM32\bcdedit.exe /export "V:\boot\bcd.save" LTIApply 4/29/2015 11:32:07 AM 0 (0x0000) BCD> The store export operation has failed. LTIApply 4/29/2015 11:32:07 AM 0 (0x0000) BCD> The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. LTIApply 4/29/2015 11:32:07 AM 0 (0x0000)

There were a lot of other BCD errors. Going by the log it looks like it never actually copied to the computer's hard drive but rather on top of itself. Try manually wiping the hard drive first just to make sure there isn't anything on the drive that might be interfering with MDT.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:40 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 6:33 PM
  • okay and ill try changing to GPT instead of MBR?

Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:05 PM
  • You could just use the clear command using diskpart. MDT automatically handles the formatting based whether you're using legacy or UEFI and moving the RE if you use bitlocker.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:21 PM