none
Remove float. I think... MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• This has been driving me crazy. I'm sure it's very simple. I'm looking to remove the float (I think that's what it is called) between two tasks that are linked. Say I have "receive order" as the predecessor with an end date of 1/13/13 and then "Install equipment" as the successor. I would have the relationship established as install material= finish to start with the predecessor. Now, how do I get a start date for the successor to begin on the same date as the finish date of 1/13/13=predecessor without typing Start to finish -1day. I keep getting the start date to begin on the next working day=1/14/13. Basically, want the end date and start date to be the same without adding the -1. No day in between. I hope I'm explaining it right. Thanks for any help.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:29 AM

Answers

• I would suggest if your normal work day is of 8 hrs, type in duration field as anything less than 8 hrs, say 6 hrs then Predecessor - "receive order" finishes on 1/13 and Successor can start on same date. Adjusting duration could help you achieve this. If its not, please provide more detail on resources, calendar and working hours etc. so that those also could be considered while suggesting.

Sapna Shukla

Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:34 AM

All replies

• I would suggest if your normal work day is of 8 hrs, type in duration field as anything less than 8 hrs, say 6 hrs then Predecessor - "receive order" finishes on 1/13 and Successor can start on same date. Adjusting duration could help you achieve this. If its not, please provide more detail on resources, calendar and working hours etc. so that those also could be considered while suggesting.

Sapna Shukla

Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Cassandra76,

Sapna's approach will work but let me suggest what is perhaps a more appropriate approach. The "receive order" task sounds like it should be a milestone - zero duration - a point in time. If you do that, then the "install equipment" will start on 1/13/13 as desired given a finish-to-start link with the receive order milestone.

To get a better feel for when tasks are scheduled and how they interact when linked, you might want to display the time along with the date. To do that in Project 2010, go to File/Options/General group. Select a data format that includes the time of day.

And by the way, the "delay" you see in your current file between "received order" and "install equipment" is not float. It is simply time scheduling based on task duration and work hours per day. Float or slack is "the amount of time a task's finish date can be delayed without delaying the project's finish date".

John

Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:58 PM