When does proactive caching make sense? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

An standard pattern for multi-dimensional cube is to have

one cube doing heavy time-consuming processing and then synchronize it to query cubes.

In this setup, will pro-active caching makes sense?

Best regards

Bjørn

B. D. Jensen

Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hello Jensen,

Proactive Cache is useful low volume data cubes where data is updating frequently like inventory, forecasting etc. But I will tell you with my own experience Proactive cache in SSAS is not worth. It behaves unexpectedly some times when data update/insert/Delete in source table the cube doesn't start its processing ,  better you create a SQL Job to process the cube after specified time .

If you want to process the cube in specified interval then I would suggest you to go with SQL JOB

blog:My Blog/

Hope this will help you !!!
    Sanjeewan

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Bjørn,

You Can get more idea on in this Artical 

Thanks,

Mark as Answer if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

My Blog
    Follow @SuhasKudekar

Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Thanks, good intro, but I already read similar.

I'm still in doubt if it makes sense when you have processing cube and query cubes.

Anyone using proactive caching for processing cube?

/Bjørn

B. D. Jensen

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Hello Jensen,

Proactive Cache is useful low volume data cubes where data is updating frequently like inventory, forecasting etc. But I will tell you with my own experience Proactive cache in SSAS is not worth. It behaves unexpectedly some times when data update/insert/Delete in source table the cube doesn't start its processing ,  better you create a SQL Job to process the cube after specified time .

If you want to process the cube in specified interval then I would suggest you to go with SQL JOB

blog:My Blog/

Hope this will help you !!!
    Sanjeewan

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:34 PM